Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was recently taught about the specific immune response in biology. This is unit 2 of AS. I would appreciate it if somebody could look through my description and point out any mistakes or improvements.

The specific immune response begins with a macrophage ingesting a pathogen. It then presents the pathogen's antigens to helper T cells. The helper T cell binds onto the antigen and becomes activated. Once activated, the helper T cell activates killer T cells (cytotoxic), it also activates the differentiation of B lymphocytes into memory cells and plasma cells. The response can be split into cell mediated response and the humoural response. The cell mediated response is the killer T cells binding onto cells that are infected and destroying them. The humoural response is the plasma cells producing specific antibodies that bind onto the pathogen, making it easier for phagocytes destroy them through phagocytosis. The memory cells retain the information of the pathogen and which antibody to produce in order to increase the rate of response if the the same (or similar?) pathogen enters the body in the future.

Quick question; I mentioned that killer T cells find infected cells and destroy them. Is this only relevant to viruses? Because it's only viruses that infect cells. If so, what do killer T cells do to fight bacterial or fungal infection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horro421)
    I was recently taught about the specific immune response in biology. This is unit 2 of AS. I would appreciate it if somebody could look through my description and point out any mistakes or improvements.

The specific immune response begins with a macrophage ingesting a pathogen. It then presents the pathogen's antigens to helper T cells. The helper T cell binds onto the antigen and becomes activated. Once activated, the helper T cell activates killer T cells (cytotoxic), it also activates the differentiation of B lymphocytes into memory cells and plasma cells. The response can be split into cell mediated response and the humoural response. The cell mediated response is the killer T cells binding onto cells that are infected and destroying them. The humoural response is the plasma cells producing specific antibodies that bind onto the pathogen, making it easier for phagocytes destroy them through phagocytosis. The memory cells retain the information of the pathogen and which antibody to produce in order to increase the rate of response if the the same (or similar?) pathogen enters the body in the future.

Quick question; I mentioned that killer T cells find infected cells and destroy them. Is this only relevant to viruses? Because it's only viruses that infect cells. If so, what do killer T cells do to fight bacterial or fungal infection?
    Seems legit - a little more about the B Cell antigens wouldn't go amiss
    They release interferon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.