Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to get an offer for postgraduate from RHUL and I'm trying to decide between RHUL and Glasgow.

When I was at RHUL last week they stated some of the postgraduate students live in London and commute in.

How many days do postgraduates have class/seminars?
    I know London is expensive. How much do students sharing accommodation spend per month typically (living in an ok area, not the worst area but not Kenningston either)

London has appeal due to the availability of jobs (I plan on work PT and I have 10 years IT experience) and networking with organizations in London (for jobs after graduating, as I am trying to move out of the IT field)

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer for a postgrad degree too. I really want to live in London but I'm not sure if the commute time would be manageable. I'd like to hear about this arrangement too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and commute in 2-3 times a week (studying for a PhD) -
    time is one factor, but cost is also rather high, so you need to think about this too.

Really depends where you live in London in terms of commuting time, it's just under 40 mins from Waterloo, plus a 15 min walk up the hill - for me the best I can do is 1.35 h, worst way over 2... I live central/East.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at RHUL they said you could use the library in London.

Does the University of London have a library one can use if one is a student at RHUL? Nevermind, I see the Univ of London library is available.

I'm mostly concerned with costs of living at this point.

Otherwise, I love everything about Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok as an undergraduate who commutes to RHUL daily using the overground, I can tell you it is a waste of time! Not only is it expensive, but the train service is not always reliable; I know a number of people who have been late to lectures due to delays on service or snow (hardly any yet SouthWest trains is the first to close)! The station is about 15minutes walk from RHUL (1 mile exactly), however, there is a shuttle bus which drives to campus (costs £1) but the service is rubbish (the timetable is not synchronised with that of the train arrival/departures).
    The trains run every half an hour (there is a slower service 27 and 57 past the hour and a faster service 23 and 53 past the hour). This makes commuting very time consuming and you have to leave uni at a certain time to get the train - it's the antithesis of the London Underground. Also ticket prices can be high and each year the prices have increased.
    In terms of working in London, the trains are really slow so I don't know if it would even be possible for you to make it to/from RHUL to Central regularly.
    I know several people have now decided to live on campus as it is just too crazy to commute 3/4 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    I am also interested to hear more feedback on this matter. I'm an international student, soon be to my second year, and I am undecided of whether to live in Egham or not because I do not know how lively the area is during the holidays. I'm not necessarily interested in living in Zone 1 (i.e. Southwark/Clapham for convenience), but I think even Richmond would be fine. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am also planning to apply to the University of Glasgow and Royal Holloway for post graduation course. I am also applying to University of Arts London. I'll have to choose. Anyways which course did you apply to at Royal Holloway and University of Glasgow ?

ReputationRep:
    International relations and political comm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright

ReputationRep:
    I firmed Glasgow. I love RHUL but for me it comes down to 1. Glasgow is cheaper to live and far more interesting than Egham, 2. I'm an American and it may be more useful to try to find work in Glasgow than London initially after graduation

However I don't think you can go wrong with RHUL. Its gorgeous, I loved all the staff and faculty I met...and its got a good rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.