Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Metal Gear Solid V has been announced by Kojima, and it turns out that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain were the same game. The game is coming to next-gen consoles and running on the new FOX engine. There's also a new trailer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ntom-pain-news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    it turns out that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain were the same game.
    Is anyone surprised by this? That's what I'd been guessing all along.

Apparently David Hayter won't be voicing "Snake" this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Is anyone surprised by this? That's what I'd been guessing all along.

Apparently David Hayter won't be voicing "Snake" this time round.
    Yep, this, pretty much Still, I'm interested enough in the game to be looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Really surprised David Hayter wont be in this. Did he voice Big Boss (Naked Snake) along with Solid Snake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mos182)
    Really surprised David Hayter wont be in this. Did he voice Big Boss (Naked Snake) along with Solid Snake?
    Yes, in most of the games featuring Big Boss. But he didn't do Big Boss's voice in

Spoiler:
    Show
    Metal Gear Solid 4

Plus it wouldn't make sense if he always had the same voice as Solid Snake. At some point before Metal Gear Solid 1, Solid Snake and Big Boss actually knew each other. So I think Solid Snake would have been a bit suspicious if his commander had an identical voice to him. He didn't know he was a clone at that point.

(Original post by Psyk)
    At some point before Metal Gear Solid 1, Solid Snake and Big Boss actually knew each other. So I think Solid Snake would have been a bit suspicious if his commander had an identical voice to him. He didn't know he was a clone at that point.
    I dunno... in MGS he didn't notice that Master Miller had been murdered and replaced by... Liquid Snake with sunglasses on... :facepalm:

"YES! I'm not the man you knew for years, who helped to train you, your mentor who you admired and respected... It's ME!!! Liquid Snake in a dubious disguise!!"

"OMG wut???"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I dunno... in MGS he didn't notice that Master Miller had been murdered and replaced by... Liquid Snake with sunglasses on... :facepalm:

"YES! I'm not the man you knew for years, who helped to train you, your mentor who you admired and respected... It's ME!!! Liquid Snake in a dubious disguise!!"

"OMG wut???"
    Yeah, but Liquid put on the voice
    And they couldn't see each other over the codec.

They did actually use a different voice actor for the real Master Miller in Peace Walker. They do sound pretty similar though.

ReputationRep:
    I call Kojima troll.

Hayter will voice Solid Snake in Phantom Pain.

Come on, how sweet would it be if Solid got recruited at the end of Phantom Pain? Then the next thing Kojima would do would be a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 :coma:

In any case, massive hype for this. Big Boss has got to develop from Naked Snake to the Big Boss we know in Metal Gear 1 and 2. So I guess it makes sense for Hayter not to be there..

Please please please release on PS3.

(Original post by Psyk)
    And they couldn't see each other over the codec.
    But if they couldn't see each other, why does Miller dramatically rip off the sunglasses and shake out his hair for the big reveal! For that matter... why does he wear a disguise in the first place!? The mind boggles!

ReputationRep:
    But if they couldn't see each other, why does Miller dramatically rip off the sunglasses and shake out his hair for the big reveal! For that matter... why does he wear a disguise in the first place!? The mind boggles!
    Presumably for the player's benefit

ReputationRep:
    In a similar vein, I would flippin' love it if Cam Clarke came back as Liquid at some point.

Les Enfants Terribles was a couple of years before Peace Walker right? Would be interesting to see young-ish Solid and Liquid...

Arghhh so many possibilities within the pre-conceived canon. That's ignoring all that Kojima will come up with for this story. I wonder how Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain will link together also. Rumour has it we (/Japan) could have Ground Zeroes this year! :woo:

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    I wonder how Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain will link together also. Rumour has it we (/Japan) could have Ground Zeroes this year! :woo:
    It's already been revealed that they're "the same game" or, rather, that "Ground Zeroes" is a sort of prologue, but part of the same release. Hasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    In a similar vein, I would flippin' love it if Cam Clarke came back as Liquid at some point.

Les Enfants Terribles was a couple of years before Peace Walker right? Would be interesting to see young-ish Solid and Liquid...

Arghhh so many possibilities within the pre-conceived canon. That's ignoring all that Kojima will come up with for this story. I wonder how Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain will link together also. Rumour has it we (/Japan) could have Ground Zeroes this year! :woo:
    I thought Ground Zeroes was part of the same game? He said it was a prologue, but he didn't make it clear whether it would be released separately or whether it was just part of the same game.

ReputationRep:
    It's already been revealed that they're "the same game" or, rather, that "Ground Zeroes" is a sort of prologue, but part of the same release. Hasn't it?
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I thought Ground Zeroes was part of the same game? He said it was a prologue, but he didn't make it clear whether it would be released separately or whether it was just part of the same game.
    That's what I thought too but it seems to have been clarified a bit.

http://www.play.tm/news/36442/ground...+%28play.tm%29

Who knows how they're gonna do it. Ground Zeroes on current gen and Phantom Pain next gen maybe (even though PP trailer says XBOX 360 and PS3)?

They may do Ground Zeroes as a downloadable prologue or something.

I thought it was all part of the same game too until Konami clarified the situation. I just assumed it would be like MGS3 having the Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater or MGS2 Tanker and Plant, but apparently not.

Soooo many mysteries. Bring on E3 I guess.

EDIT: More. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27...eparate-games/
    PP seems confirmed for PS3 and XBOX 360 :woo: Begs the question though - why have they confirmed what the second part of MGSV is going to be on, but have said nothing about Ground Zeroes?

Is GZ the open world game and PP more linear? Therefore GZ = next gen?
    Or is GZ Wii U?/Vita?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone roughly know when it'll be released?

EDIT: guess its too early for that

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought too but it seems to have been clarified a bit.

http://www.play.tm/news/36442/ground...+%28play.tm%29

Who knows how they're gonna do it. Ground Zeroes on current gen and Phantom Pain next gen maybe (even though PP trailer says XBOX 360 and PS3)?

They may do Ground Zeroes as a downloadable prologue or something.

I thought it was all part of the same game too until Konami clarified the situation. I just assumed it would be like MGS3 having the Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater or MGS2 Tanker and Plant, but apparently not.

Soooo many mysteries. Bring on E3 I guess.

EDIT: More. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27...eparate-games/
    PP seems confirmed for PS3 and XBOX 360 :woo: Begs the question though - why have they confirmed what the second part of MGSV is going to be on, but have said nothing about Ground Zeroes?

Is GZ the open world game and PP more linear? Therefore GZ = next gen?
    Or is GZ Wii U?/Vita?
    I think Ground Zeroes is more linear and PP is open world. They said it starts off linear and then opens up. So since Ground Zeroes is the start it must be that way round.

ReputationRep:
    I'm honestly surprised this is set to be released on PS3/Xbox360.

This is probably more next gen looking than some games releasing for next gen (Yes you BF4)

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind that it's on current gen. MGS3 also released at the very end of the console cycle, and it turned out to be the best game to ever exist ever.

ReputationRep:
    It might be next gen as well. They've been releasing a lot of information about the FOX engine recently. That's definitely for next-gen consoles, although it seems it also supports current gen.

ReputationRep:
    When GZ was first announced they said it was releasing this year, so maybe PP will be next year and we have to buy two whole games to play the whole of MGS V.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.