Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm taking a gap year next year and am thinking about applying to Cambridge post a level.

I was just wondering what my chances would be like if say I got A*A*A at the end of the year. (which is what I'm predicted) However, I do have a few Bs in AS modules, but would the uni be able to overlook this if I have already obtained the entrance requirements??

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Possibly , depending on how much. I'm a post-a level applicant and I got 1 B in a very unimportant module (I'm a Geography applicant but got a B for Biology's practical, which everyone got pretty much Bs or Cs). But the ultimate deciding factor was probably the final grades.

It also depends on how far you were to achieving an A - mine was 1 mark off an A.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a reason for the 'B's? I wouldn't imagine one or two 'B's in modules being a huge problem if you walk away with A*s.
    I got all As on every single module (AS and A2), apart from one 'B' in my English Literature AS which averaged out overall at an 'A' and a 'D' in my History coursework module (I was really ill when it was being produced, 50% attendance up to Christmas, 0% attendance thereafter and I'm resitting it during my gap year and I'm predicted it will go up to an A/90%+), but my History A2 still averaged at an 'A' as I had 90% in all my exams. I got into Cambridge post a-level with A*A*A and an A at AS with one really poor module and a 'B'; I did have extenuating circumstances, however. Ultimately, it just subjective to you; your circumstances, your commitment to your subject, the competitiveness of your subject, whether they were high or low Bs. Your best bet is to contact Cambridge directly and ask. They wont bite, and their advice will be much better than most things on here. I hope I made sense!
    Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses! I was just wondering, do Cam look at the result of the 4th AS subject that you drop even after obtaining the grades post a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLMag)
    Thank you for the responses! I was just wondering, do Cam look at the result of the 4th AS subject that you drop even after obtaining the grades post a level?
    Yes, but it depends very much on the situation: if, like me, you applied for an arts subject and the AS that you dropped was Further Maths, it probably wasn't a big deal. If it's more closely related to the subject you're applying for, then it might.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this thread's extinct, but I have some experience in post-A Level application

I applied to Oxford (for History) before my A Levels (with 9 A*s and 3 As at GCSE, and 4 As and 1 B at AS), and got rejected after interview...

Did my A Levels and got 3 A*s (History, Biology, French) and 1 B (in Latin).

Reapplied to Oxford, rejected after interview.

Failed to get into any university but my safety, and didn't want to go there, so I reapplied again, this time to Sidney Sussex, Cambridge. Got in!

So, basically, I suppose the moral is I wouldn't worry about some Bs in modules, seeing as I had an entire A Level B grade (though admittedly in a fourth subject). Not to mention the only other B grade I had was in a History AS module, ie. the subject I was applying for.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.