Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did a LADs screening recently which came back saying that I had a low probability of having dyslexia, but I had a follow up appointment with a dyslexic advisor and she thinks that there is a chance that I might be dyslexic and said she can refer me for a full assessment if I want.

I'm a bit worried about going ahead with it as although I do think that I am dyslexic, it is probably only a mild form and I don't experience some of the characteristics all the time. Eg I spell simple words wrong sometimes as I have a complete blank but it doesn't happen all the time, so if I was asked to write a short paragraph I would probably be fine. So Im worried that the assessment wont pick up on some of my difficulties as they may not necessarily be present during the assessment :s I don't want to have to pay for it and then be told that Im not dyslexic.

If someone could give me their opinion and maybe a bit of info on what the assessment actually involves I would really appreciate it. All I have been told is that it will last roughly 3 hours.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I was tested in 2009; so it may have changed since then. But I was tested on the following:
    - logic (given some letters / numbers and asked to put them in a certain order)
    - memory
    - spelling

I'm sure there was also some general knowledge type questions, questions asking me to explain the connection (ie, I was asked what an eye and ear have in common) and I think there was something about being given made up words and having to say them.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npaul4)
    I did a LADs screening recently which came back saying that I had a low probability of having dyslexia, but I had a follow up appointment with a dyslexic advisor and she thinks that there is a chance that I might be dyslexic and said she can refer me for a full assessment if I want.

I'm a bit worried about going ahead with it as although I do think that I am dyslexic, it is probably only a mild form and I don't experience some of the characteristics all the time. Eg I spell simple words wrong sometimes as I have a complete blank but it doesn't happen all the time, so if I was asked to write a short paragraph I would probably be fine. So Im worried that the assessment wont pick up on some of my difficulties as they may not necessarily be present during the assessment :s I don't want to have to pay for it and then be told that Im not dyslexic.

If someone could give me their opinion and maybe a bit of info on what the assessment actually involves I would really appreciate it. All I have been told is that it will last roughly 3 hours.
    I recently had a screening recently which said I have a high probability of having dyslexia, and a low probability for dyspraxia. I've always known I had issues since I was in set 1 for English at school yet struggled with writing and grammar and other areas. Anyway I'm having my assessment soon am so nervous, I don't know why I'm a really confident person. :-/.

Anyway when are doing your test do you have a appointment yet, also I had to pay for mine (partially) do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreedofMaurus)
    I recently had a screening recently which said I have a high probability of having dyslexia, and a low probability for dyspraxia. I've always known I had issues since I was in set 1 for English at school yet struggled with writing and grammar and other areas. Anyway I'm having my assessment soon am so nervous, I don't know why I'm a really confident person. :-/.

Anyway when are doing your test do you have a appointment yet, also I had to pay for mine (partially) do you?
    That sounds like me. I haven't actually agreed to go ahead with it yet as I do have to contribute to the cost. My university is paying half the amount but I still have to pay £150 It seems so unfair.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like me. I haven't actually agreed to go ahead with it yet as I do have to contribute to the cost. My university is paying half the amount but I still have to pay £150 It seems so unfair.
    It is somehwat unfair especially for those who can't afford it, but I saved extra during this term and will be able to pay it. Im pretty nervous for mine not sure why, I suppose I feel if i'm not diagnosed then I must just be an idiot... :-( I know not a good prespective to take, but I really think if you believe you may be dyslexic or have any other form of learning difficulty you should do it, the support you'll get will outweigh the cost.

What are your symptoms?

Mine are poor grammar, I can spell some words compelte fine but words with the letter I and E I get so confused with, words with double letters such as recommended (double M) I get confused with, I also do my N's upside down when I am writing. My writing is so bad I can't read it, but if I slow down and try writing neat I can't write my notes the lecturer is speaking to fast.
    I struggle to read analog times, I'm confused with my left and right, I know which is which but I hesitate and think rather than instant knowing, I can't read text language, I struggle with pronouncing new words, I'm a confident person yet I can't do thigns presentations I speak gibberish and pronounce things wrong. I'm forgetful with a lot of things.

I was always in set 1 even for English yet I always struggled to keep up and I'm hoping I finally have a reason for why I've struggled yet been a bright student.

ReputationRep:
    It is somehwat unfair especially for those who can't afford it, but I saved extra during this term and will be able to pay it. Im pretty nervous for mine not sure why, I suppose I feel if i'm not diagnosed then I must just be an idiot... :-( I know not a good prespective to take, but I really think if you believe you may be dyslexic or have any other form of learning difficulty you should do it, the support you'll get will outweigh the cost.

What are your symptoms?

Mine are poor grammar, I can spell some words compelte fine but words with the letter I and E I get so confused with, words with double letters such as recommended (double M) I get confused with, I also do my N's upside down when I am writing. My writing is so bad I can't read it, but if I slow down and try writing neat I can't write my notes the lecturer is speaking to fast.
    I struggle to read analog times, I'm confused with my left and right, I know which is which but I hesitate and think rather than instant knowing, I can't read text language, I struggle with pronouncing new words, I'm a confident person yet I can't do thigns presentations I speak gibberish and pronounce things wrong. I'm forgetful with a lot of things.

I was always in set 1 even for English yet I always struggled to keep up and I'm hoping I finally have a reason for why I've struggled yet been a bright student.
    Yeah its definitely unfair I know exactly what you mean about being nervous for the assessment...I have wondered for several years now whether Im dyslexic or not but Im scared that it will come back saying that Im not. I feel exactly the same...I will feel so stupid if that happens and will wonder why I have struggled over the years.

My main problem is my writing, particulary essays. I really struggle to organise my thoughts onto paper and structure them into an essay. I end up wording it really simply and constantly jump between different points. I also have quite a bad short term memory, despite a great long term memory.
    My spelling isn't too bad but I sometimes have a complete blank on simple words and end up spelling them how they sound, but this doesn't happen all the time which makes me worried whether it is linked to dyslexia or not.

I also really struggle to take in what I am reading. If I really focus I can get engrossed in a good fiction book but trying to take revise from a course book at uni is almost impossible. Im not sure if this is a symptom but I also really struggle to take notes and shorten long bits of writing. I just end up taking down the whole thing, which is hard to do in lectures.
    I do sometimes get mixed up between left and right like you explained but I think that's only occasionally.
    My reading and speaking is generally fine but I do sometimes skip lines and when im talking to someone, even to my friends, I stumble on words sometimes or often cant think of the right word.

That seems like a long list of symptoms lol but I don't experience all of them everyday, just occasionally which does make me wonder whether I am just focusing on them too much and trying to convince myself that Im dyslexic. I have always been generally in top sets in school and was particurly good at Maths and anything arty/hands on, but I did feel like I struggled in English and only really passed due to my teachers hard work. Like you, I really really hope that I am diagnosed with dyslexia as it would explain so much and I wont get so frustrated when I have to write essays as I will know that I have a reason why I struggle so much.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its definitely unfair I know exactly what you mean about being nervous for the assessment...I have wondered for several years now whether Im dyslexic or not but Im scared that it will come back saying that Im not. I feel exactly the same...I will feel so stupid if that happens and will wonder why I have struggled over the years.
    Hi
    I had my assesment today, I have been formally diagnosed with Dyslexia, it is a big relief to know I have a reason for the wierd stuff I do

What you have sounds like dyslexia to me, it does not matter if you always don't get your right and left muddled the fact you do is the problem. It does not matter that you can read a fictional book, the fact you can't when it's educational is a problem (by the way this book issue I have the same problem). I think we all doubt whether we have anything wrong it is normal, plus if your paying some money upfront it's annoying the though of spending you money then finding out your not dyslexic.

The assesment involved

Introduction-questions on childhood and cordination adn why you think your dyslexic.

Assesment involved.
    -Getting little blocks and putting them in the shape asked (matching images she gives you) timed.
    -Pronouncing words for a list, the pronouncing made up words from as list.
    -Reading some work then answering questions.
    -Writing for a minute
    -Filling in a numbers and shapes thing- I don't how to explain but you have to match numbers with words.
    -doing sequencing with numbers and pictures
    -A general knowledge test

It is around 1 hour long.

At the introduction make sure you say the things you have stated to me above you can't read, sometimes you get your left and right muddled sometimes your fine, your in good sets, but you get so frustrated when writing.

If you want message me for any questions or worries or if you want more indepth feedback or just want to speak!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The assesment involved

Introduction-questions on childhood and cordination adn why you think your dyslexic.

Assesment involved.
    -Getting little blocks and putting them in the shape asked (matching images she gives you) timed.
    Ah yes, I remember failing that badly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I had my assesment today, I have been formally diagnosed with Dyslexia, it is a big relief to know I have a reason for the wierd stuff I do

What you have sounds like dyslexia to me, it does not matter if you always don't get your right and left muddled the fact you do is the problem. It does not matter that you can read a fictional book, the fact you can't when it's educational is a problem (by the way this book issue I have the same problem). I think we all doubt whether we have anything wrong it is normal, plus if your paying some money upfront it's annoying the though of spending you money then finding out your not dyslexic.

The assesment involved

Assesment involved.
    -Pronouncing words for a list, the pronouncing made up words from as list.
    -Reading some work then answering questions.
    -Writing for a minute
    -Filling in a numbers and shapes thing- I don't how to explain but you have to match numbers with words.
    -doing sequencing with numbers and pictures
    -A general knowledge test

It is around 1 hour long.

At the introduction make sure you say the things you have stated to me above you can't read, sometimes you get your left and right muddled sometimes your fine, your in good sets, but you get so frustrated when writing.

If you want message me for any questions or worries or if you want more indepth feedback or just want to speak!
    Wow, thanks. That's really useful and encouraging

Mine is supposed to be about 3 hours long so Im not sure what makes it so much longer than yours :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks. That's really useful and encouraging

Mine is supposed to be about 3 hours long so Im not sure what makes it so much longer than yours :confused:
    It was meant to be longer but to be honest we zoomed through everything without trouble so I suppose it quickened things don't worry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.