Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are driving tests getting easier? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I passed my driving test last week(blagged it big time) now my older brother has said driving tests are getting easier compared to when he done it 10 years ago..what do u make of it? I've had a look and have attempted to find statistics but cannot find anything anywhere, if you can provide this it'd be interesting.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bumpppp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, driving tests are getting much much harder. They're much longer than the used to be, show me/tell me questions are fairly new, independent driving is very new, hazard perception tests are just over a decade old and the theory test was only introduced in the nineties.
    My dad passed his driving test with flying colours decades ago but even he admits there's no way he'll be able to pass a modern day practical.

ReputationRep:
    Your brother is talking a load of crap, instead of him being happy you passed (1st time) he's only jealously trying to indirectly put you down. I'm sorry but he's sounds like a tosser.

And like kre said, anyone with half a brain would know that the driving test is progressively getting more difficult, all these measures added to the driving test points in the direction that it's getting harder.

This is not even a debate, seriously it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    On the contrary, driving tests are getting much much harder. They're much longer than the used to be, show me/tell me questions are fairly new, independent driving is very new, hazard perception tests are just over a decade old and the theory test was only introduced in the nineties.
    My dad passed his driving test with flying colours decades ago but even he admits there's no way he'll be able to pass a modern day practical.
    I agree.
    My mum passed her driving test 23 years ago- and she admits she wouldnt pass if she did it nowadays as well.

ReputationRep:
    When they keep adding new bits and pieces to the test I don't see how they can be getting any easier.

My grandad passed his test the first year they came out. Apparently all he had to do was to drive to the end of the road, turn around and then come back again.

ReputationRep:
    My dad passed after having 8 lessons. I can't see anyone passing after 8 lessons now a days...

ReputationRep:
    Examiners where more lenient then than now , have some confidence in yourself ! Well done I still remember when I passed....

ReputationRep:
    Not much experience of the current test but when I passed there was no theory or hazard perception test etc so there seems to be a lot more content now. I find it hard to believe they are easier.

ReputationRep:
    I passed in 9 lessons, not hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Varona)
    Your brother is talking a load of crap, instead of him being happy you passed (1st time) he's only jealously trying to indirectly put you down. I'm sorry but he's sounds like a tosser.

And like kre said, anyone with half a brain would know that the driving test is progressively getting more difficult, all these measures added to the driving test points in the direction that it's getting harder.

This is not even a debate, seriously it isn't.
    Tbf it was said in a banter way but it got me thinking

Interesting but I'm still surprised there are no statistics, slightly weird huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they would be, since independent driving has been introduced. Back then, they just gave me three manoeuvres and bossed me about on where to go. But that's just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getenoughsuarez)
    Hey everyone, I passed my driving test last week(blagged it big time) now my older brother has said driving tests are getting easier compared to when he done it 10 years ago..what do u make of it? I've had a look and have attempted to find statistics but cannot find anything anywhere, if you can provide this it'd be interesting.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the way many people drive around where I live, driving tests should have been harder for many years. If I ran the country I'd also require those who drive Chelsea tractors to have taken their test in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    My dad passed after having 8 lessons. I can't see anyone passing after 8 lessons now a days...

Exactly, my dad had two 'official' lessons and passed his test first time. It took me 4 attempts, each time failed for something as silly as not checking mirrors for long enough (even though staring at them is dangerous?), or my front wheel being ever so slightly over the lines of the parking bay.

Money grabbing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Lol clearly not you..so why go on YouTube, copy the url, open tsr, click quote, paste the url and click send :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getenoughsuarez)
    Lol clearly not you..so why go on YouTube, copy the url, open tsr, click quote, paste the url and click send :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    for the lulz

ReputationRep:
    It's getting tougher the last time I heard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    I'd say they would be, since independent driving has been introduced. Back then, they just gave me three manoeuvres and bossed me about on where to go. But that's just my opinion
    Just because the independent driving part has been introduced meaning that you have to do less manoeuvres than 10 YEARS AGO doesn't mean driving tests have systematically become easier over the last 100 years :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Varona)
    Just because the independent driving part has been introduced meaning that you have to do less manoeuvres than 10 YEARS AGO doesn't mean driving tests have systematically become easier over the last 100 years :facepalm:
    I said I think tests are now easier because of independent driving. I then said 'back then' which related to two years ago which was different to now. I wasn't talking about ten years ago. Like I said imo and with friends and family I've spoke to, driving forward to a destination of your choice is easier than being dictated manoeuvres which is where they seemed to feel nervous and even fail. Once again...IMO

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.