Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Are driving tests getting easier? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The independent drive isn't to your choice tho - you're told to either follow the signs to a specific place (say 'town centre' or something) or to follow diagrams with a route on (like go to the end of the road, take the 3rd exit on the roundabout and take the first left). However it's not a memory test so you can ask, and they won't fail you for doing it wrong - as long as you do it safely

ReputationRep:
    Less than 50% of people pass their test the first time, so I wouldn't say they're getting easier at all.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait till my test, I'll be 17 in September, to me it sounds like its gotten harder, apparently you have to do up to 20 or more lessons to pass these days

Posted from TSR Mobile e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    I said I think tests are now easier because of independent driving. I then said 'back then' which related to two years ago which was different to now. I wasn't talking about ten years ago. Like I said imo and with friends and family I've spoke to, driving forward to a destination of your choice is easier than being dictated manoeuvres which is where they seemed to feel nervous and even fail. Once again...IMO
    It doesn't mean driving tests having become easier over time though, that was the point of the OP and the whole point of this thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    I said I think tests are now easier because of independent driving. I then said 'back then' which related to two years ago which was different to now. I wasn't talking about ten years ago. Like I said imo and with friends and family I've spoke to, driving forward to a destination of your choice is easier than being dictated manoeuvres which is where they seemed to feel nervous and even fail. Once again...IMO
    I think you've misunderstood what the independent driving part of the test is.
    The instructor will pull you up at the side of the road and show you a diagram. He'll then explain it, saying stuff like turn left at the roundabout, then right at the end of the road and the next left after that. So you're still being told where to go, but it's a little harder because you have to remember it as you go.
    You may also be told to follow the road signs to so-and-so a place, but this will always involve following probably a couple of signs that say turn left here and go straight ahead here. So again, you're still being told where to turn.

ReputationRep:
    No they are getting harder and harder. The government even wants new drivers in the future to take lessons for a year.

My dad passed about 30 years ago, he took 8 lessons and on his test he was shown two pictures of road signs and was asked what they are and then did 20 minutes of driving and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    Doing my driving test, for me, was the hardest tests I've ever done in my life.

Although I've never done one in the past, I don't think they're getting easier, there's lots of things to remember and they've changed the layout of the theory and practical tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    On the contrary, driving tests are getting much much harder. They're much longer than the used to be, show me/tell me questions are fairly new, independent driving is very new, hazard perception tests are just over a decade old and the theory test was only introduced in the nineties.
    My dad passed his driving test with flying colours decades ago but even he admits there's no way he'll be able to pass a modern day practical.
    Kre has got it spot on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.