Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Solicitor parents - vacation scheme application. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of applying for a vacation scheme at a local firm, and one of the questions on the application form is about why I want to be a lawyer. Both my parents are solicitors, and that is certainly one of the factors feeding into my interest in law - I have been surrounded by it from a young age, seeing how firms operate and what the job involves etc.

However, I have had conflicting advice on whether to put this fact on the application form - on the basis that it might look as if the only reason I am interested in law is due to my parents. What is the general view on this - should I include it or not?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's always best to be truthful, so it that's one of your reasons then include it.

Don't make it your only reason though. What is it about what your parents do that you like exactly? Discuss that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanogram)
    I'm in the process of applying for a vacation scheme at a local firm, and one of the questions on the application form is about why I want to be a lawyer. Both my parents are solicitors, and that is certainly one of the factors feeding into my interest in law - I have been surrounded by it from a young age, seeing how firms operate and what the job involves etc.

However, I have had conflicting advice on whether to put this fact on the application form - on the basis that it might look as if the only reason I am interested in law is due to my parents. What is the general view on this - should I include it or not?
    If you have another reason, use that. You could consider disclosing it at interview.

That way, you can use the knowledge you have gained from your parents to impress rather than be trotting out what is expected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.