Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently been to a few circuses with animals ranging from shetland ponies to great huge tigers and lions. I couldn't help feeling really sad and angry that these beautiful animals were forced to do stupid things like jumping over fire and rolling over just for "entertainment"...

during the bit with the lions and tigers, which was what i really opposed to the most, the cats kept lunging and snarling at the "trainer"... but then it made me think, if they ACTUALLY didn't like this man and what they were doing and how the were being treated... surely they'd just kill him? he has no protection, he couldn't defend himself in any way. they looked REALLY pissed with him, i wasn't sure if it was how they were trained to be (because at this one particular circus the lions were really "submissive" in comparison to the other one where they were lunging and snarling, and obviously the latter was more "entertaining")... so if they actually wanted to, he could be their dinner.

do they not attack him because they are scared or because they depend on him for dinner or because they don't know any different or because they don't mind? one of the tigers had blood on it after he had been poking it getting it to move.

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole concept of caging animals, training animals and buying animals is cruel.
    But society thinks differently and I try not to think of myself as part of society.
    Animals, in my opinion, are far more superior to humans!
    They aren't cruel, they don't abuse anyone physically (unless they are threatened) or verbally and they aren't as stupid as ****ing human beings!

I'm going to keep quiet now, otherwise I can go on forever :P
    This is just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's unnatural isn't it. I suppose it depends on the circus, but I'd say that one the whole it's not a good thing. Having been to a safari park I don't think I'll ever go back to a zoo. I think using exotic animals for entertainment is perhaps a step too far.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't support it. I don't think people's entertainment is enough to justify forcing animals to perform tricks and live in cages.

ReputationRep:
    I think that circuses are cruel. Wild animals should not have human contact like that, it is cruel. Also, it is well known how bad the conditions which circus animals are kept it. Total disgrace.

Zoos and Safari Parks however own animals which are not able to be released into the wild as they are uncapable of surviving and the zoo uses them to breed to keep the species going (A few young animals have the chance of being released). Their enclosures are made to represent their wild homes and they have very little human contact as possible. This is not not as cruel.

ReputationRep:
    how would you like it if some Gorilla came to England, kidnapped you as you walked home from a nightclub drunk and alone, took you to somewhere deep the in African Jungle and forced you to perform in front of gorillas, chimps, lions, rhinos etc. only to have them laugh at you can throw pop corn at you. While all that time you are thinking, if only you had a shotgun, you could end every single one of their lives, they wouldn't find it so funny when they are picking up their cubs/babies etc and sprinting for the forest exit now would they?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don’t think there’s any excuse for constantly dragging animals around the county in cramped trailers,
    just so they can perform tricks for people’s amusement.

Especially when those ticks (such as having an elephant do a head stand) have been condemned by vets ect, as very pain for the animal and doing long term damage to their bodies.

....at the same time though I do find it a little strange that people can get so up in arms about the tigers and elephants in circuses, yet not bat an eyelid when its say horses and dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Triple-Sod)
    ....at the same time though I do find it a little strange that people can get so up in arms about the tigers and elephants in circuses, yet not bat an eyelid when its say horses and dogs.
    why would they? Horses have entire fields to run around in and are generally well looked after. Dogs often have enough space also and are often well looked after. When they are not, people often complain about it, and usually more so than they would about a circus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah perhaps should have been a little clearer,

What I meant was if you took the same circus, conditions and tricks ect but substituted the exotic wild animals for domestic ones (as does seems to have been the case over the last 10-20 years) most people seem to have far less of a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurie)
    Is using animals in circuses cruel ?
    No, it's funny.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    For me it's always been how they're kept, treated, cared for, and in particular what happens when they get old.

It's definitely unnatural though, and unfortunately most circuses take no objection in using endangered or protected species that really need to be repopulating and being conserved in the wild. One of the main sources for circus animals is apparently still poaching, and if that's still the case then circus animal use is guilty of a really serious problem.

There are worse things though. Pop stars have started wearing fur again, and whilst everyone's sick of hearing it the damned rainforest is still getting ripped through. In all honesty, a circus might make someone interested in animals and inspire them to work with them, whereas other things tend to just get the idea in peoples heads that animals don't feel anything.

ReputationRep:
    If people need to work for their benefits then so can animals.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there just Animals..so who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I don't think that using animals in circus is bad but on one condition that is they must have get proper food every day and must be checked once in a month...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don’t think there’s any excuse for constantly dragging animals around the county in cramped trailers,

Especially when those ticks (such as having an elephant do a head stand) have been condemned by vets ect, as very pain for the animal and doing long term damage to their bodies.

Horses and dogs are completely different.

ReputationRep:

This.

I don't agree with it. There are far more other ways for people to be 'entertained'. They're not even treated well usually, so I fail to see why people agree with it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..*KITA*..)
    I think the whole concept of caging animals, training animals and buying animals is cruel.
    But society thinks differently and I try not to think of myself as part of society.
    Animals, in my opinion, are far more superior to humans!
    They aren't cruel, they don't abuse anyone physically (unless they are threatened) or verbally and they aren't as stupid as ****ing human beings!

I'm going to keep quiet now, otherwise I can go on forever :P
    This is just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't believe that part. Maybe the generally don't abuse humans unless threatened (how often do they get the chance anyway?), but animals do act "cruel" and "abuse" other animals. Cats are known to go out hunting birds and rodents, even when they are well fed at home. Half the time they don't even eat what they kill.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

I know it's a web comic, but you can look up the actual study it gets the information from.

On topic:

It depends on the animal and how they are kept. I don't think using wild animals is generally a good idea. But using tame dogs and horses, I don't see how that's any different to horse/greyhound racing, or even keeping them as pets. As long as they treat them well.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the conditions of the animals. I like to perform with my dog and she loves every minuet of it, the look of complete adoration in her eyes and the fact her tail wags at 100 miles an hour I'd say she was loving it. Of course I look after her, feed her, walk her for an hour a day ect. and I'll still do it when she is too old to perform. (maybe a little less on the walking if she can't take it any more) The method used to train the dog is important too, if the dog learns through love and rewards for the good behavior then its fine. Both the dog and the trainer is happy, its when the dog is not happy is when I have a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.