Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Undergrads - how much do you spend on food? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Where do you shop and what's your weekly food cost?

I usually spend between £15 and £20 at Aldi every week. Planning your meals takes 5 minutes and saves loads

ReputationRep:
    Depends if I am "skint" or not.

On a good week I would spend 30 minimum
    On a skint week I would spend 15 maximum (Lots of Sainsbury 11p noodles)

I shop at Sainsburys, and Asda.

ReputationRep:
    £20 for the week at ASDA.

ReputationRep:
    I've got it down to £12 at Asda before, anything above £20 and I feel I'm eating like a king. My parents spend £50 per person at the supermarket, God only knows how they manage that.

Tips:
    - Do not buy processed food. It is expensive and full of salt. Not to mention 99% horse.
    - Do not buy fancy contrived products like Muller yoghurt. It is expensive and they get smaller every year.
    - Do not buy prepared vegetables. You have a perfectly good knife at home.
    - Do not buy cheese. It is expensive.
    - Meat is the most expensive thing so look for special offers on that. Asda has 3 for £10, I buy a chicken and 2x6 bits of pork which will last two weeks. Absolutely no processed meat ever.
    - Buy food for two weeks in general, remembering most food is sized/special offers priced for couples or families of four.
    - There may be a good value local butcher or market where you can buy fruit and veg. Be careful though because from a market I find they go off sooner.
    - Try not to get into the habit of buying snacks at the corner shop. I fail badly on this one.

ReputationRep:
    About £20pw from Tesco

ReputationRep:
    £40 a week on food and £60 a week on alcohol. My priorities have somewhat changed after starting uni...

ReputationRep:
    Around £50 every two weeks, probably a bit lower since I get colleague discount, lol.

However because I work in a shop I tend to pick up reduced bits all the time which can cost another £5-10 per week, but it saves in the long run.

Plus I spend more because my boyfriend is always round mine (sun-Thursday) and apart from Wednesday I have to cook for him as well as myself, so it costs more because of that too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I spend a lot on food - this month about £150 D:
    But I'd estimate in the region of £30-£35pw on food, including the odd ShakeAway and the treat lunch I have once a week (Pasty Presto in the SU, £2.60 pasty and soft drink)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be goin to uni in september and I made a budget already, basically based on what I could eat bare minimum (i.e. no fanciness or luxuries) and it came to just under 30 quid (£30) bearing in mind im tryna build muscle so I need to eat more, that doesnt include protein powder btw incase anyone was wondering.

I'd agree with previous posters, planning ahead can save money, I would generally eat the same sorta things in a week, like to keep it strict, and it sitll comes to that same ammount,

The website mysupermarket is a great tool for checking supermarkets prices for things, though it can be subject to change on local stores, also you might get a better deal on a market or local shop as someone else said!

Know im not at uni atm but this is my own thoughts on it for when I do go, hope this helps.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    - Do not buy fancy contrived products like Muller yoghurt. It is expensive and they get smaller every year.
    The cheaper yoghurts are good enough, imo. Actually, that's true for a lot of food - the cheaper stuff is good enough and there's generally not a huge difference between them and branded stuff.

ReputationRep:
    i was planning on spending £50 a week LOL....

tuna , steak and chicken all the way

ReputationRep:
    I started off spending about £40 a week, and by the end of term I was able to plan on £10 per week. If I'd stuck to around £25-£30pw throughout the year it would have been a lot easier, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Er probably around £30 because I despise cooking and will do almost anything to avoid it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I used to spend between £15 and £25 per week. But that would also include things like washing up liquid / powder, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've lost track a bit since I started making more use of ethnic supermarkets and the likes of Aldi / Lidl. However, when I was doing the bulk of my shopping at Sainsburys, I was eating well off £20-25pw. That said, I don't eat meat at all, and not much fish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.