Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If my daughter has the use of the car during uni holidays and my husband uses it the rest of the time who is the main driver? The uni term is 28 weeks.Obviously during the uni holidays the car would be shared as well.

Is it done by mileage or by other means?

ReputationRep:
    If your husband uses it year round and your daughter for only half the year it would be reasonable to say your husband is the main driver, but it would probably also be worth talking to the insurance company and explaining that before​ any potential claim so it's on record and they can't object.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, I was about to ask the same question. I may be the only driver for a car for 12 weeks over summer for a placement, but not the main driver over the course of the year (I'll be handing it back over to the owner for the other 40 or so weeks).

I imagine it must be how the insurers define it. Either way, it should be made clear on the paperwork when creating the policy. If she is driving it for the first week that it's insured and she makes a claim, they might think she was the main driver as nobody else has had a chance to drive it. Then again, they might look over a 6 week or 3 month period prior or whatever to the event to see who was mostly driving.

I guess the best way is just to ask... But I'd like to know if you do.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine main driver is based more on mileage driven rather than time,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    If your husband uses it year round and your daughter for only half the year it would be reasonable to say your husband is the main driver, but it would probably also be worth talking to the insurance company and explaining that before​ any potential claim so it's on record and they can't object.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    main driver = the one who does the most miles IMHO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.