No (Slightly less worth)
    11.88%
    No (More than slightly less worth)
    17.82%
    No (Completely different worth)
    58.91%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    No I know, the majority of other posters have been like that though.

The workload isn't necessarily even throughout the year. Units are not of equal difficulty so an easy unit done at the start of the first year (as is often done) will be less taxing than one done at the end of the 2nd year. The exam thing is understandable but still that doesn't mean BTECs don't have a big workload. I'd be willing to wager that BTECs have a higher workload as it's entirely coursework and as a result much more report based. I do 18 units over 2 years with 3/4 assignments per unit with maybe 4-6 pieces of work per assignment for distinction level. I don't believe A-levels have that level of writing.
    This is fairly accurate, a complete assignment varies between around 2000-4000 words I find (more occasionally occurs), and to complete the course on time you need about 3 assignment minimum every 2 weeks. Thus each week you should be writing about 5000 words. This takes a considerable amount of time, you need to factor in research and understanding of subject material, as well as the drafting process to produce a well written assignment.

On the flip side you don't have exams so it sort of evens out. I'd say personally that I prefer exams, less writing and more applying knowledge to a series of questions. In my experience if you have a modicum of affinity for academia you can get away with not doing much until the month/month and half before exams, which you can't when you have continuous assessments on a deadline:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    This is fairly accurate, a complete assignment varies between around 2000-4000 words I find (more occasionally occurs), and to complete the course on time you need about 3 assignment minimum every 2 weeks. Thus each week you should be writing about 5000 words. This takes a considerable amount of time, you need to factor in research and understanding of subject material, as well as the drafting process to produce a well written assignment.

On the flip side you don't have exams so it sort of evens out. I'd say personally that I prefer exams, less writing and more applying knowledge to a series of questions. In my experience if you have a modicum of affinity for academia you can get away with not doing much until the month/month and half before exams, which you can't when you have continuous assessments on a deadline:/
    Actually, my btec applied science course have tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    1. BTEC is an awarding body , it's a Brand of Edexcel

2. Btec accredits awards from foundation to postgraduate levels

3. HNC is not a 'scottish qualification' it's a BTEC accredited level 4 qualification
    I'll only answer 3.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the HNC is a BTEC qualification awarded by Edexcel, and in Scotland, an HNC is a Higher National awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

An HNC is a scottish qualification "aswell" remember we have different educational systems between england and scotland.

If this doesn't make sense then check the SQA website, the information may enlighten you a little better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enavor)
    I'll only answer 3.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the HNC is a BTEC qualification awarded by Edexcel, and in Scotland, an HNC is a Higher National awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

An HNC is a scottish qualification "aswell" remember we have different educational systems between england and scotland.

If this doesn't make sense then check the SQA website, the information may enlighten you a little better.

you manage to prove how wrong you are with your own evidence

you previously asserted that HNCs are a 'Scottish qualification' , they quite clearly are not being available UK wide ( if not further afield) from Edexcel and there being SQA validated HNCs as well .

ReputationRep:
    you manage to prove how wrong you are with your own evidence

you previously asserted that HNCs are a 'Scottish qualification' , they quite clearly are not being available UK wide ( if not further afield) from Edexcel and there being SQA validated HNCs as well .
    I think I'm talking Shwahilli or something, but I'll try one last time, and get nowhere but hey I'm a good guy and give people chances =D

To quote you:

3. HNC is not a 'Scottish qualification' it's a BTEC accredited level 4 qualification

^ that is what you wrote.

Answer: An HNC is a Scottish qualification (level 7), if you don't want to accept that then that's your ignorance not mine, fortunately. Let me clarify by the way that HNC's are also offered by Edexcel (at level 4 as you rightly stated), but these HNC's are completely different from SQA HNC's (this is the part I'm trying to persuade you on).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottis...ions_Framework

to quote you again:

"you previously asserted that HNCs are a 'Scottish qualification' , they quite clearly are not being available UK wide ( if not further afield) from Edexcel and there being SQA validated HNCs as well."

No idea what this paragraph has to do with the original quote that you wrote, which is:

3. HNC is not a 'Scottish qualification' it's a BTEC accredited level 4 qualification

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but an HNC is a Scottish qualification, offered by the SQA; a completely different department from Edexcel (which also offers HNC's, just not Scottish ones.)

ps. I know you didn't bother to look at the SQA source so the entire debate (if you can even call it one) is pointless.

Regards,

L.

ReputationRep:
    you quote wikipedia, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

HNC are qualifications offered by both SQA and Edexcel, and are to the EXACT same level of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    you quote wikipedia, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

HNC are qualifications offered by both SQA and Edexcel, and are to the EXACT same level of knowledge.
    Yes I "seriously" quoted wikipedia welldone you! It's actually quite good despite not being peer reviewed.

And yes you're correct that HNC's are offered by Edexcel and the SQA, I posted this to correct another member of TSR. Lovely to see you agree with me

Regards,

L.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enavor)
    yes i "seriously" quoted wikipedia welldone you! It's actually quite good despite not being peer reviewed.

And yes you're correct that hnc's are offered by edexcel and the sqa, i posted this to correct my own erroneous assertion another member of tsr. Lovely to see you agree with me :d

regards,

l.
    efa

hth

hand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enavor)
    Yes I "seriously" quoted wikipedia welldone you! It's actually quite good despite not being peer reviewed.

And yes you're correct that HNC's are offered by Edexcel and the SQA, I posted this to correct another member of TSR. Lovely to see you agree with me

Regards,

L.
    I know wiki is good for most things, helps massively with research.

I wasn't sure if you did, didn't look through the whole thread.

ReputationRep:
    efa

hth

hand
    Absolutely no idea what that means, Google spell checker might help you're English.

NB. I made no erroneous assertion, you did and I corrected that.

Regards,

L.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    I wasn't sure if you did, didn't look through the whole thread.
    The SQA (Scottish qualifications authority) are the sole body which distributes HNC's (as well as other qualifications) in Scotland.

That's why I'm saying HNC's are Scottish qualifications, because it's a Scottish body which distributes them. One poster said they are not Scottish qualifications, that poster was wrong.

If you want to be exceptionally pedantic to the extent of using the correct semantics then you could say "it's an SQA qualification", but even at that "Scottish" and "Qualification" are still in the acronym.

Love,

L.

ReputationRep:
    I think BTECs are often considered easier because usually people who do BTECs didn't do well in their GCSEs, and therefore don't work very hard when it comes to the next level. Also, because there are no exams.
    This does not make the achievement of DDD any less difficult than the achievement of AAA. If it was easier, UCAS couldn't award them the same number of points. I thought that would be obvious. The only way to know which is more difficult would be to either do both a level 3 BTEC and 3 A levels, or teach/mark them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    Do you think BTECs Level 3 Extended Diploma are worth the same as A Levels as they are comparable in terms of UCAS points?
    D*D*D* will give the same UCAS points as A*A*A*.
    It's barely worth if you are applying for top 7-8 unis cuz they hardly accept or they don't. But if you have Alevel with it then you'll barely get rejected by oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can we just have some peace here guys? No need for all this hate and fighting. Did Ghandi not teach us anything?

Peace is the only way us human beings will survive on Earth. Peace is what keeps us united. Peace is the glue that holds broken hearts together and spreads love. Love pushes us to do our best for the people around us. Did God put us on this planet to fight nonstop about frivolous matters such as whether or not BTECH is better than A Levels? We should all respect each other for the intelligence that God gave each of us

. . . Except for BTECH students cause they are dumb as ****.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels are harder. Sorry BTEC warriors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    They're the same.... No arguing about it really. Both are difficult just in their own ways - those who say BTECs are the "easy way out" are tossers who've blatantly never done one.

Edit: Negged by the A-level snobs. Come at me examfags.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    A-Levels are harder. Sorry BTEC warriors
    Have you done both?

theyre are equivalent for a reason

IMO of the experience that I have had with both, A level Computing is a piece of piss compared to the BTEC in IT/Computing

im now at uni studying Computer Science and I can tell you now the BTEC covers topics in much more depth and is much more relevant to the industry and further study in the subject. A level Computing and A level ICT do not cover enough within the curriculum

I have to disagree with you, for technical fields BTEC is superior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverKid96)
    Can we just have some peace here guys? No need for all this hate and fighting. Did Ghandi not teach us anything?

Peace is the only way us human beings will survive on Earth. Peace is what keeps us united. Peace is the glue that holds broken hearts together and spreads love. Love pushes us to do our best for the people around us. Did God put us on this planet to fight nonstop about frivolous matters such as whether or not BTECH is better than A Levels? We should all respect each other for the intelligence that God gave each of us

. . . Except for BTECH students cause they are dumb as ****.
    Dumb as ****, really

A levels offer no worth past getting into uni, BTEC is a respected professional qualification and holds value in employment and HE.

I took the BTEC in IT and im now at a good uni studying Computer Science and on track for a first this year, a lot of A level students who took A level Maths and 2 other subjects (not including |Computing) are struggling with programming and that covers a vast amount of the course and on my BTEC i did a **** load of programming and software development, so who's "Dumb as ****" now? Am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran101090)
    It's barely worth if you are applying for top 7-8 unis cuz they hardly accept or they don't. But if you have Alevel with it then you'll barely get rejected by oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends entirly on the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae111)
    I think BTECs are often considered easier because usually people who do BTECs didn't do well in their GCSEs, and therefore don't work very hard when it comes to the next level. Also, because there are no exams.
    This does not make the achievement of DDD any less difficult than the achievement of AAA. If it was easier, UCAS couldn't award them the same number of points. I thought that would be obvious. The only way to know which is more difficult would be to either do both a level 3 BTEC and 3 A levels, or teach/mark them.
    at my college the head of Computing and IT (who taught both BTEC and A level Computing, more so A level) said he would much rather hire someone as a Software Engineer who has a BTEC in IT rather than someone with A levels in Computing/IT, Maths and Physics of the same grades

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.