Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is 6 weeks long enough to save my law degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a final year law student at a fairly good university with borderline 2.2/2.1 grades. I have got myself into a position where I now have only 3 weeks to complete my dissertation and a further 3 weeks to revise.

Due to a couple of bad modules pulling me down my average is not that good, but will hopefully get a 2.1. I still have a lot of work to do on my dissertation.

Have a completely ruined my chances of getting a good 2.1? Ideally I would like to get good final year marks to compensate for some poor 1st and 2nd year modules. I'm really starting to panic that I've ruined everything.

Also, I'm not certain that is the route I would like to take, but would I ever get a training contract when I have a few 2.2 modules, if i get a 2.1 overall?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellanel91)
    I am a final year law student at a fairly good university with borderline 2.2/2.1 grades. I have got myself into a position where I now have only 3 weeks to complete my dissertation and a further 3 weeks to revise.

Due to a couple of bad modules pulling me down my average is not that good, but will hopefully get a 2.1. I still have a lot of work to do on my dissertation.

Have a completely ruined my chances of getting a good 2.1? Ideally I would like to get good final year marks to compensate for some poor 1st and 2nd year modules. I'm really starting to panic that I've ruined everything.

Also, I'm not certain that is the route I would like to take, but would I ever get a training contract when I have a few 2.2 modules, if i get a 2.1 overall?

Thanks!
    I've just completed writing my dissertation. I did it over the last 3 weeks, having deliberately left writing up until then when I had gap following all other coursework submission and starting serious revision. So yes, 3 weeks is adequate to write it up, but only if you've already collected, read, noted all of your research materials and your arguments and structure are clear in your head. If you're still researching at this stage then you will struggle, I would think, to produce a good dissertation. You might consider producing an adequate diss and putting more time into other modules. It can be a difficult call this and might depend on how your Uni classifies your degree - do all of your year 2 & 3 marks count, is your lowest score ignored, or are some modules weighted more than others? If so you might want to concentrate on the modules where you think you can score highest and pull your average up.

Having said that, even if you're behind with research, you could still pull out a reasonably good dissertation in 3 weeks if you're very organised and focus on and use only the leading authorities in your subject area. Three days per chapter - days 1 & 2 locate and read the leading authorities and draft a bullet point structure. Day 3, sit down and write that chapter. Then move on. 18 days will write 6 chapters and allow 2 days for polishing footnotes, bibliography, contents pages etc. Day 21 print, bind, submit. OK, it might lack depth but you could score a solid 2.2 or even a 2.1 if you really keep your head down and work to a plan.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.