Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

BMW 1 series or Audi A1 ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Deciding between these for my first car. Which one would you prefer and why?

Edit: What about a mini?

I'm open to any other options too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1 series. You can be like I got a Beemer.... But jokes a side they are equally both great cars it's down to preference and price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    First car? Damn... Someone has parents willing to dip their hands into their excessively deep pockets.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Of these two cars, I'd probably go with the Audi TBH. But the BMW is bigger, so that might be useful if you need more size.

ReputationRep:
    Having recently driven one, 1 series.
    For what they are they are great little cars.
    Head and shoulders above the competition without a doubt.

Test drive both and decide for yourself...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, lots of hate for the 1 series on here - not entirely sure why?

That is the one I would go for out of the two as they drive very well and when specced properly are comfortable. Space in the back is restricted as they are RWD, but that gives you a better driving experience. Worth noting it can catch you out in poor weather, although in the smaller engined models that is unlikely.

As you can see here the BMW badge has an effect on people. I drive a 15 year old 3 series and have had comments from complete strangers which is odd, but they are wonderful cars and I would thoroughly recommend one.

If it comes with run flat tyres then the ride will be crap, so get them changed for normal ones which will improve it drastically.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly a 1-Series. Driving dynamics, engines, build quality, durability, all superior. Oh, and BMW is not just some generic bread-and-butter firm picked up by a gigantic conglomerate to be artificially pushed up into the premium segment but actually has brand heritage and a history of excellence.

ReputationRep:
    You'll look like a **** either way.

ReputationRep:
    Weird you'd say the A1 and not the A3 tbh, I'd think they were closer in class than the A1 and 1 Series. I don't much care for the looks of the A1 so I'd say the 1 Series.

Anyone claiming the build quality on an Audi as being lower than that of a BMW is barmy, they're beautifully made.

ReputationRep:
    An A1 is smaller than a 1 series, if anything compare an A3 with a 1 series.
    Are you considering new models of both? Or used?
    Personally I'd get a 1 series, RWD, will probs be more fun, but really you can't go wrong with an A1/A3 or 1 series.

ReputationRep:
    First car? A1 or 1 Series?

Spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    First car? A1 or 1 Series?

Spoilt.
    Thanks for the neg - I don't really appreciate it. I am lucky, not spoilt. It's a treat/present. I am grateful for what my parents can give me.

ReputationRep:
    Bmw 1 series bruh!

ReputationRep:
    1 series...

you are lucky as hell.

i've once "borrowed" my uncles S4 for a while whilst he was on holiday, pulled so much pussy in that *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1000)
    Thanks for the neg - I don't really appreciate it.
    Wasn't me.

It's a treat/present
    Spoilt, in other words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Wasn't me.

Spoilt, in other words.

Oh noez. Her parents have money and are actually going to spend it on their child! the horror! THE HORROR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    1 series...

you are lucky as hell.

i've once "borrowed" my uncles S4 for a while whilst he was on holiday, pulled so much pussy in that *****.
    lol, sure you did.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.