Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody, I'm an English-Italian boy looking for some answers, I hope you can help me out with my doubts!
    First of all, I will briefly sum up my story. I am 21 years old, I live in Italy and two years ago I was admitted to an Italian medical school (I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I had a really good score).
    Last year, I had some pretty serious health problems, I underwent abdominal surgery and full recovery has come only recently. So, I was forced to "take a break". In Italy it is possible to "suspend" one's university course for health-related motivations, and that's what I did.
    But when it came to resume my course, I became having second thoughts. Not about the field: I love medicine, I've studied hard to get into it and even harder to go on; I wouldn't have achieved anything if I wasn't strongly enough motivated. However, Italian university does not satisfy my needs (I won't waste time explaining to you why is that) and, since I am half English (on my mother's side) and I intented to move to the UK after graduation anyway, I thought "Hey, why not study there from the beginning?"
    So, I went on the internet and tried to get all the information I could. I have now selected the universities I'm interested in and I'm working on my UCAS application. Unfortunately, I am given to understand that I am "out of time" for October 2013 entry. So, my question is: what shall I do?
    Shall I apply now for deferred entry or just wait for october and apply regularly for 2014? Are there any significant differences whether I choose one way or the other?
    Beside that, I also wonder when should I sit the UKCAT and BMAT required by the medical schools I've chosen. I've read the UKCAT is held in August, am I correct? So, intending to apply for October 2014, shall I register for the test in August 2013, in August 2014 or it doesn't matter?
    As for the BMAT, instead, I've read it is held in November, so I wonder: shall I sit the BMAT in November 2013 or AFTER I've been made an offer by the university (the former seems more likely to me, but I really have no clues)?
    And, last but not least, when should I apply for a grant or student loan to pay for my tuition fee?
    As you may have guessed, the "when"s are not at all clear to me, maybe because I'm accustomed to Italy, where you don't need to apply one year earlier (in fact, here you apply two or three months before courses start and admission tests are delivered by the universities themselves).
    I would REALLY love to get a picture of what my future steps should be.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who may answer to my questions!
    Gerry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lodin)
    Hello everybody, I'm an English-Italian boy looking for some answers, I hope you can help me out with my doubts!
    First of all, I will briefly sum up my story. I am 21 years old, I live in Italy and two years ago I was admitted to an Italian medical school (I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I had a really good score).
    Last year, I had some pretty serious health problems, I underwent abdominal surgery and full recovery has come only recently. So, I was forced to "take a break". In Italy it is possible to "suspend" one's university course for health-related motivations, and that's what I did.
    But when it came to resume my course, I became having second thoughts. Not about the field: I love medicine, I've studied hard to get into it and even harder to go on; I wouldn't have achieved anything if I wasn't strongly enough motivated. However, Italian university does not satisfy my needs (I won't waste time explaining to you why is that) and, since I am half English (on my mother's side) and I intented to move to the UK after graduation anyway, I thought "Hey, why not study there from the beginning?"
    So, I went on the internet and tried to get all the information I could. I have now selected the universities I'm interested in and I'm working on my UCAS application. Unfortunately, I am given to understand that I am "out of time" for October 2013 entry. So, my question is: what shall I do?
    Shall I apply now for deferred entry or just wait for october and apply regularly for 2014? Are there any significant differences whether I choose one way or the other?
    Beside that, I also wonder when should I sit the UKCAT and BMAT required by the medical schools I've chosen. I've read the UKCAT is held in August, am I correct? So, intending to apply for October 2014, shall I register for the test in August 2013, in August 2014 or it doesn't matter?
    As for the BMAT, instead, I've read it is held in November, so I wonder: shall I sit the BMAT in November 2013 or AFTER I've been made an offer by the university (the former seems more likely to me, but I really have no clues)?
    And, last but not least, when should I apply for a grant or student loan to pay for my tuition fee?
    As you may have guessed, the "when"s are not at all clear to me, maybe because I'm accustomed to Italy, where you don't need to apply one year earlier (in fact, here you apply two or three months before courses start and admission tests are delivered by the universities themselves).
    I would REALLY love to get a picture of what my future steps should be.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who may answer to my questions!
    Gerry
    Take a look at our Medicine wiki pages as they will explain a lot about the process to you.

You cannot apply now for deferred entry - the application process is only open between 1 Sep and 15 Oct for entry the following autumn, so you would need to apply in Sep/Oct 2013 for Sep 2014 entry. The UKCAT is sat anytime over the summer (you arrange to sit it at a local test centre much as you do the theory part of a driving license test) - you need to sit it this summer (2013). The BMAT, as you say, is held in November on one date only, and you need to register to sit this in Nov 2013. You apply for student finance once you have an offer, so usually the spring before you start uni. As far as I am aware being half-English is not going to help you with funding, you would count as an EU student rather than a Home student because you have presumably not been resident in the UK for the past three years.

Be aware that you will have to declare on your UCAS form (the central application form that is sent electronically to the 4 medical schools you choose to apply to) that you have already attended a medical school in Italy. Most UK medical schools are extremely unkeen to take anyone who has dropped out of another medical school, regardless of the reason (particularly as it seems you could just continue with your course in Italy).

You should also be aware that 60% of applicants to UK medical schools receive no offers. It is not an easy process - I'm not saying that to deter you, just to make you aware before you begin. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, this was very helpful!
    I have already contacted via e-mail some universities to ask them whether they are willing to consider applications from a former medical student and I've had some positive feedback. Needless to say, I will apply to the ones who wrote me "there is absolutely no problem in you being a med school dropout" (I must say they were not as few as I expected).
    I am aware it is very competitive. In Italy they accept 10'000 students per year (all over the country) and there are from 100 to 150 thousand applicants, but I didn't get discouraged at all!
    I will try as hard as I can and, if I get no result, I can always "bite the bullet" and resume my education here.
    Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.