Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, gosh it's been forever since I've been on this forum!

I'm applying for my PGCE now and I know it's late! I have reasons and well, from what I can see on GTTR places are still available for maths. I'm finishing off uni so don't have time to do more experience.

My question is, do you think it's worth me applying to IOE. Currently here is my experience:

6 months volunteer tutoring at a centre age ranges: 5-16

1 hour every friday, for 10 weeks volunteering at a school helping out GCSE maths students and observing.

I have a 1 day observation at a post 16 school.

I don't think I fit the bill for IOE right, my friends tell me I should but I don't think I do. Also my friend went for her interview today and she really scared me off from applying there anyway...I'm pretty shy when speaking to others, so I think I would fail the interview.

I hope people will just set me straight...I'm looking into London met also and I just looked at there requirements, I think I could have a chance with them.

And also I have to ask how much do a-levels count? I didn't do so great in them, but am hoping for a 2:1, but considering how hard everything it might just turn out to be a 2:2. So again in regards to that, I don't think I fit IOE requirements!

Thank-you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    They invited me to interview with far less experience in schools than that (I did have a few years teaching EFL, but you've got that tutoring experience so your application could seem far stronger than mine). Got onto the reserve list last year, and this time they just waved me through without interview. I start PGCE History in September.

Don't be intimidated. It reads like you're talking yourself out of it. Whether or not you "fit the bill" is really the college's decision to make - you'll certainly not be on anyone's bill if you never apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmannion)
    They invited me to interview with far less experience in schools than that (I did have a few years teaching EFL, but you've got that tutoring experience so your application could seem far stronger than mine). Got onto the reserve list last year, and this time they just waved me through without interview. I start PGCE History in September.

Don't be intimidated. It reads like you're talking yourself out of it. Whether or not you "fit the bill" is really the college's decision to make - you'll certainly not be on anyone's bill if you never apply.
    Thanks so much for that, I'm the type of person who needs a push from someone. I told my friends about my decision to not apply to IOE and they think its stupid! They said to try and even if I don't get in it'll be interview practice. So I think I might as well put it down and see what happens, if I don't get in it won't be the end of the world!

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on getting in!

ReputationRep:
    I went there. Its the best teacher training college in the UK apparently. Some of the teachers are great, some are terrible. I think some of the assessment is pointless...but then again I had been teaching a while before that....

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.