Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have a slight problem right now, i have an offer to study BA History and Russian at UCL in London but I also have the opportunity to do a B-Comm in Melbourne.
    Now im somewhat torn between the two and what to do, call it a quarter life crisis if you will.
    Any suggestions? What would you lot do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    So I have a slight problem right now, i have an offer to study BA History and Russian at UCL in London but I also have the opportunity to do a B-Comm in Melbourne.
    Now im somewhat torn between the two and what to do, call it a quarter life crisis if you will.
    It depends of your future dream job. What future job are you thinking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    It depends of your future dream job. What future job are you thinking about?
    To be quite honest, no idea

ReputationRep:
    Please, that isn't even a question. A top uni in one of the most exciting cities in the world or some style-less, culture-less town in the boondocks...

ReputationRep:
    Some factors to consider:
    (1)Financial? I consider you don't have that as an issue (since you got a +- 2 hour massage )
    (2)Liking the place; do you like London in general? Melbourne?
    (3)Do you think you'll get homesick?
    (4)What are the chances of you getting a First from one of these unis?
    (5)What are the chances of you getting a job afterwards?
    (6)How are the support staff and lecturers from these unis? Any good?

ReputationRep:
    London all the way, although I wouldn't want to live there myself. UCL has an amazing international reputation, and London is one of the best cities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    There is a very good post here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2289783 about studying in Australia.

Its solid, sensible advice from someone who has done it, and as an Australian who has studied in both countries, I totally endorse it. In particular, note what it says about a three year Australian degree not being an Honours degree, the cost of an Australian degree, and not underestimating how homesick/out of place you may feel.

ReputationRep:
    being from wellington, doesn't NZ have some special ties with OZ? So if you studied in OZ, wouldn't you get subsidised fees or something? I think the student debt thing is very important these days. I'm currently saddled with £21k debt after studying at UCL and I probably would have gone somewhere else if overall it'd have been cheaper, but it'd not have been in my case.

Don't get me wrong, UCL is probably better than any Australian university, but finance must be a consideration, unless u have super rich parents who will pay everything for u :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Please, that isn't even a question. A top uni in one of the most exciting cities in the world or some style-less, culture-less town in the boondocks...
    Yes, Melbourne. Australia's second largest city and one of the most liveable cities in the world...

I think homesickness is certainly an important consideration, especially if you have no friends or family to rely on (so no support network outside the university). It's so common to hear of students saying that, say, Newcastle is too far away from Norwich, or that Edinburgh is too far from Bristol. Well, that's only a distance of hundreds of miles or so where a train journey takes not even three or so hours. How about the other side of the world where you need a 24 hour flight as opposed to a train journey (or short international flight)?

What are your thoughts about both?

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you don't know what Melbourne is really do you?
    (Original post by kka25)
    Some factors to consider:
    (1)Financial? I consider you don't have that as an issue (since you got a +- 2 hour massage )
    (2)Liking the place; do you like London in general? Melbourne?
    (3)Do you think you'll get homesick?
    (4)What are the chances of you getting a First from one of these unis?
    (5)What are the chances of you getting a job afterwards?
    (6)How are the support staff and lecturers from these unis? Any good?
    Financial isn't such a worry as I hold what is equivalent to a permanent resident visa thanks to NZ citizenship so I get discounted fees and can work without any trouble
    I do like london but I found Melbourne to be on the whole a far nicer and more liveable city, plus it's somewhat smaller
    Probably at first but I don't think it'd be to much of an issue, I've been away from home for 6months on this side of the world and haven't had much of an issue plus I have quite a lot of family over here already so not to bad.
    Personally I tonk the chances of a first from either are remote but probably ucl owning to the large language component
    That I still need to check on
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    There is a very good post here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2289783 about studying in Australia.

Its solid, sensible advice from someone who has done it, and as an Australian who has studied in both countries, I totally endorse it. In particular, note what it says about a three year Australian degree not being an Honours degree, the cost of an Australian degree, and not underestimating how homesick/out of place you may feel.
    Thank you very much for the link!
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    being from wellington, doesn't NZ have some special ties with OZ? So if you studied in OZ, wouldn't you get subsidised fees or something? I think the student debt thing is very important these days. I'm currently saddled with £21k debt after studying at UCL and I probably would have gone somewhere else if overall it'd have been cheaper, but it'd not have been in my case.

Don't get me wrong, UCL is probably better than any Australian university, but finance must be a consideration, unless u have super rich parents who will pay everything for u :P
    Yar I get a 2/3rd discount if I remember rightly through the csp! plus owning to the current economic state out there jobs are plentiful and very well paying
    Mmm that's the issue I'm having trouble weighing up, Melbourne seems a nicer place but ucl has prestige behind it:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Yes, Melbourne. Australia's second largest city and one of the most liveable cities in the world...
    Most liveable if you're a homophobic beach bum who's only into BBQs and sports and doesn't care about culture, history, or anything else really that makes a large city a true metropolis. But then that goes for all Australian cities...

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous, I've lived in Melbourne all my life, we are very progressive and homophobia is called out and shamed.

Melbourne is a beautiful place to live, I have several friends from London and they all love the place. The main things they like are the weather, the women and spacious areas.

On the flipside, they dislike how expensive so many things are.

Melbourne Uni is world class, especially in the field of commerce with us ranking as the best university in Australiasia and I think 10th in the world or so for commerce.

ReputationRep:
    Most liveable if you're a homophobic beach bum who's only into BBQs and sports and doesn't care about culture, history, or anything else really that makes a large city a true metropolis. But then that goes for all Australian cities...
    Please contribute constructively, or not at all.

ReputationRep:
    Melbourne is a lovely place, vibrant, fun and with an excellent climate.

And you'd be mad to dump UCL in favour of it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you want to swap a few years at one of the top unis in the world and in one of the best cities in the world for Melbourne?? I don't think so. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP,

If you ever decide on Melbs (great city btw) then I can DEFINITELY help you out with insider information on transport, unis, going out, festivals, food, accommodation and etc!

Just send me a PM.

All the best with your decision xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kushwoho44)
    Melbourne Uni is world class, especially in the field of commerce with us ranking as the best university in Australiasia and I think 10th in the world or so for commerce.
    Ditto, well said and as for the expensive thing if you know where to live, shop (Kmart ) and eat then it's not too bad. In terms of property though, I do think that it's cheaper and better value in other states, such as South Australia - you can get a house next to the beach for half the price than in Melbourne - and Tasmania, but it's just more isolated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.