Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've suffered from depression for 4-5 years. It was manageable before, or I was better at pretending, I don't know. Now it isn't. Now it is a very deep, dark, black hole. I am lost. Counselling isn't working. Drugs haven't worked. My family does not take this seriously. My friends think it is a joke. I have nothing I want to carry on for and I see no hope in anything. There is nothing good to come. This world is fruitless. For some reason I still want to keep going. However, I know even this spark of self-preservation is fading and I do not think it will be long before that is gone too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've suffered from depression for 4-5 years. It was manageable before, or I was better at pretending, I don't know. Now it isn't. Now it is a very deep, dark, black hole. I am lost. Counselling isn't working. Drugs haven't worked. My family does not take this seriously. My friends think it is a joke. I have nothing I want to carry on for and I see no hope in anything. There is nothing good to come. This world is fruitless. For some reason I still want to keep going. However, I know even this spark of self-preservation is fading and I do not think it will be long before that is gone too...
    If counselling or drugs aren't working then try a different counsellor/drugs or alternative forms of therapy. If a screwdriver doesn't work, you don't keep trying to screw something in with the same screwdriver, you try different ones until you get one that fits.

What caused your Depression? what was happening in your life at the time? you need to address the root cause of the problem. My doctor recommended a book to me called 'How to lift depression fast' which is published by Human Givens and they said Depression is due to certain needs not being met and that made a lot of sense to me e.g. the need for security or the need for a connection with other people.

ReputationRep:
    Hi if you want someone to speak to, I am a great listener feel free to PM (I am female 20).

ReputationRep:
    dont lose hope! things can always change and, if you make the effort, im sure youll be a very happy person soon. there are many happy aspects to life: holidays, going out with friends, music, books. look for things that make you happy and stick to them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't have depression - something slightly similar, but I went through about 2 therapists (useless), 4 different doctors and probably a dozen different medications before finding the right GP and medication that worked for me. Not sure if it's a coincidence but it was the female doctors and therapists that were absolutely terrible, sounded patronising and seemed terrified of losing their jobs when I asked for certain types of medications - all they ever did was hand out SSRIs like candy. Lost hope for a while and then decided to request appointments with male doctors only - they were a lot more straightforward, unafraid of prescribing alternative medications (not SSRIs) and unafraid to speak their minds after hearing me out. They were willing to give me a chance at a variety of other medications. I built a level of trust over a year with my current GP and now get prescribed pretty much what I want. No history of addiction or drug abuse. As long as I maintain self-control, I can enjoy quite a few blissful worry-free days every month or as needed (e.g. interviews, assessment centres or if I just need to sleep).

ReputationRep:
    Thats a crappy sitution to be in. please dont give up on yourself yet; it may be buried deep but the fact that youre still carrying on and still want to, even the tiniest bit, thats the hope you're looking for. things change, constantly. its a hard road but youve made it this far and thats really brilliant, and you can make it further and see that its worth it

they probably just havent found the right treatment yet. it sucks that its kind of a process of guesswork. what sort of counselling are you getting? if that kind isnt working for you, there are other methods you can try, preferably not just talking about how you feel but also ones that involve developing a meaningful routine for yourself (it may seem impossible but it isnt, it just takes time to adjust). same goes for the medication, and not to mention that it can take up to a couple of months for meds to have their full effect. if youve tried a couple of the same type of meds (taking them properly for at least six weeks) with no luck, ask your doctor if you can go on something different or maybe start trying a combination.

(on the other hand if you have noticed a correlation between the worsening of your depression and medication use, make sure you mention that to a doctor and your counsellor, so you can have a proper discussion about the best way forward. being on the wrong meds can make life way difficult and sometimes it takes a while to realise that thats the reaso )

in the meantime, and im sure you hear this a lot, but are you looking after yourself? eating properly and trying to get a good nights sleep? its not the cure-all people claim it to be but it does make a big difference, so fixing that can give you a stronger foundation to work from (even when youre really not in the mood to do it. at least cooking or exercise are a non-damaging distraction) if nothing else, its worth doing all that basic stuff that your mood might be leading you to neglect, because then you can look all the people who arent taking you seriously in the eye and say 'look, you can see im doing everything i can, so you cant blame this on my lifestyle, take me goddamn seriously'

(people who havent been through it will probably not understand. its not their fault, but they dont have the right to make you feel bad about it. its not your fault either.)

ReputationRep:
    The fact that at the moment you still want to carry on is amazing! Keep hold of that and remind yourself of it when you're feeling really low! Think of all the things in the future that you'll be able to do to make you happy, once the stresses and things that upset you now have gone and are in the past! You can live an amazing life and once in which you achieve so much! These bad feelings are just a temporary problem, they will go away! It does get better! Stay strong!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I wrote this post almost a year ago, and whilst I am still suffering from depression I think I am out of the very dark place I was in last year. Anyway, I'm just posting because the handful of you that took time to reply to this thread made a difference at the time. It felt like people were listening. I never replied at the time which I feel guilty about because I think it's important to let people know when they've helped in anyway. Just wanted to say thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I know I didn't reply originally, I never knew of the thread but I'd just like to say I think it's really good of you to let us know. Equally you sound like a lovely person and that's half of the problem with depression often the people are lovely and they get nothing in return and their hope fades and they go into a downward spiral of self destruction. There are obviously other reasons for depression but I've noticed this is quite a common pattern.

It's always a huge achievement when someone pulls themselves out of situations like this, but I also hope you have more support from the people around you.

Really nice to hear you're doing well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.