Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and at college,I've been having a bit of a struggle figuring out what to do after the summer.
    Currently I'm living at home and taking the bus to college, this is a 45 mile each way journey over 2 buses (3 on the way home) which takes anywhere between an hour and a half and 2 hours, more depending on the traffic. This means I have to get up every weekday at 6am in order to make it to college for just before 9am. Getting home sometimes as late as 6pm on a bad day. Financially this is not a problem, the main buses cost me £90 a month, with the buses in town costing £20 and £180 going to my parents for food and the like, for a total of £290. This leaves me with a fairly large chunk of money to spend on food during the week, with food at home provided. However, I've been slowly getting less and less proper sleep, which is starting to impact on my work.

One of my options for next year is to move into a flatshare much closer (I go to college in edinburgh) which will cost somewhere in the region of £300 a month, and buses will total approximately £40. This of course brings my monthly spend to ~£350, without food. This theoretically leaves me with around £100 a month for food and other necessities.

Now, obviously both situations have their pros and cons, my biggest worry is however the fact I'll be moving away from home for the first time in my life. On the one hand I think I'm ready, but on the other I'm worried about how common it is for someone of my age to be living away from home, how other people will see me and things like that.
    This has turned into rather a long post that doesn't talk about very much, but my question is this: What do you think of a 17 year old moving away from home? And also when did you move out for the first time?

EDIT: I should probably add it's currently my easter break, so I'm not doing any harm being awake at nearly 2am

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of people who moved out by your age. Though you will miss home comforts and being away from your parents!
    Though I fail to see how getting up at 6 and getting home at 6 is a problem.
    I used to start work before college at 6 (5am wake up) and go to college during the day then go back to work until 10.30.
    Did my college work on days off. Just get in the habit of going to bed at 11pm. It's not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    I know loads of people who moved out by your age. Though you will miss home comforts and being away from your parents!
    I used to start work before college at 6 (5am wake up) and go to college during the day then go back to work until 10.30.
    Did my college work on days off. Just get in the habit of going to bed at 11pm. It's not that hard.
    I know it shouldn't be a problem, and I manage it almost every day, but not seeing the sun almost all day except for through a window can really dent one's mood

ReputationRep:
    £100pm is not a great deal of money to live on, OP. Have you thought about bills etc as well?

I personally would say stay at home - you'd be better off saving your money rather than spending it on a few hours extra sleep. Ultimately, you have the same amount of time in the day to get your work done, no matter where you live, so you have to learn to make it work for you. If you stay at home, you have more time at college to study, which is probably more ideal than in a flat share.

Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it works for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    £100pm is not a great deal of money to live on, OP. Have you thought about bills etc as well?
    The majority of the flatshares I've been looking at have the bills included, some of the cheaper ones don't though.
    One of the major advantages I suppose is being more likely to find a job in the city than I am out in (basically) the middle of nowhere.

Really my main concern is being thought of as "too young" by people and being excluded from groups and whatnot. This is probably mostly irrational though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gear-guy)
    The majority of the flatshares I've been looking at have the bills included, some of the cheaper ones don't though.
    One of the major advantages I suppose is being more likely to find a job in the city than I am out in (basically) the middle of nowhere.

Really my main concern is being thought of as "too young" by people and being excluded from groups and whatnot. This is probably mostly irrational though.
    I don't think your age will be a problem. After all you'll still be at college with people your age and I expect most of them would live nearby.

Yes, getting a job will be easier to find, no doubt... But then aren't you essentially using up the time that you say you don't have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it shouldn't be a problem, and I manage it almost every day, but not seeing the sun almost all day except for through a window can really dent one's mood
    I know it can get depressing, I wasn't the happiest puppy in the world! You've only got what, a year till you go to uni? I dunno, I just know that home comforts are amazing. I used to want to move out so bad but now I'm at uni in a cold, damp, cheap, messy house I love when holidays come round.

I think you should stay at home, it's a good thing to get used to, getting up early and going to bed early. Especially with 9am lectures at uni, 3 hours before hand is loads of time for coursework/gym etc.

That's my two cents anyway.

ReputationRep:
    How do you think millions of people who work in offices cope?
    If seeing the sun is important then why go to college, get a job as a gardener?

ReputationRep:
    I know it can get depressing, I wasn't the happiest puppy in the world! You've only got what, a year till you go to uni? I dunno, I just know that home comforts are amazing. I used to want to move out so bad but now I'm at uni in a cold, damp, cheap, messy house I love when holidays come round.

I think you should stay at home, it's a good thing to get used to, getting up early and going to bed early. Especially with 9am lectures at uni, 3 hours before hand is loads of time for coursework/gym etc.

That's my two cents anyway.
    I can see where you're coming from there, and yeah I have a year of college left, whether I'll be going to uni remains to be seen.
    I'd find it a lot easier if I wasn't spending all the time on buses though, I tend to fall asleep which messes up my sleeping pattern for the night.

(Original post by xumanah)
    How do you think millions of people who work in offices cope?
    If seeing the sun is important then why go to college, get a job as a gardener?
    I'm hoping to become a field IT technician, so won't be working in an office all the time.
    I've done gardening in the past, as nice as it is it's pretty tiring and I'm bad at it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.