Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, since I don't wish to bore you with a long-winded question, I'll be somewhat terse:
    I am from the United States, and have been offered a place in the University of York to read PPE. My obvious concern is that I know hardly anything about British politics. I do, of course, intend to read about it on my private time to educate myself on the subject, but I feel that it's something that cannot be learnt, but have to be lived'." I was accepted to several other schools in the U.S., so I have no obligation to accept the offer ( though I really want to do, but my anticipation of being "left out" in discussions and debates because I am unfamiliar with British politics is putting me off from doing so).
    I understand this is not a question, but merely a statement of my dilemma. If you have anything to offer, I'd be grateful.

P.S. how is the University of York? Is its PPE course as sound as its reputation puts?

ReputationRep:
    I have also been offered a place to read PPE at York next year, although I am rejecting them for Oxford.
    I can say York was most definitely my second choice. It's a long established PPE course, has good interdisciplinary elemtns and unlike many other places that do PPE, the subject is on a par with all of their others in terms of support (unlike somewhere like East Anglia or Lancaster, where it feels like an add-on.)
    The campus is also really good, and the city is beautiful. It's actually imo the best campus out of all the ones I've visited.
    RE: the British politics element, in terms of your degree itself, I can't see it being a problem. You don't need to take many politics modules if you don't want to and the vast amount of choice means you could avoid it other than at a basic first year level.
    In terms of discussions with other students, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you want to go to York, I'm sure other students would be glad to bring you up to speed, and could probably use your help on the American politics. To be honest if you study it in depth over the Summer, you'll probably know more than half of the first year students anyway.
    Go for whatever you feel would be the best degree and uni for you. If they've offered you a place, they obviously feel you're more than capable. Don't try to convince yourself you're not.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've had a quick look through the PPE program details at York, and it doesn't seem to me that you'll be at any kind of disadvantage being unfamiliar with British politics. I think that as you have probably found in the States that people *think* they know a lot more about politics than they actually do! Also, domestic politics may be of less interest than international politics to many of the students on the course so I don't think you'd feel left out of discussions. York has quite a high intake of international students and so if anything you are more likely to feel at home on the course being able to offer an American perspective on many of the issues you'll be studying.

Good luck with the decision!

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to be starting York PPE this year too

On the British politics point, it shouldn't be a huge deal, but you might want to read up around the basics. Maybe go on Wikipedia and read about the three main political parties and what they're about (Labour, Liberal Democrats and Conservatives), and maybe the smaller parties too like UKIP, Greens and the SNP. Also read up a bit on the House of Commons and House of Lords. Other than that, perhaps check the BBC News website a couple of times a week (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/) and you should be kept pretty much up to date.

York is a good university. It's consistently ranked in the top 20 of the UK and is a potential contender for the top 10. PPE is one of its strongest courses, also.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.