Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Since I'm approaching uni it's about time I got a new laptop as well. So far I have been running on a 13 inch unicase Aluminum MacBook (basically a MacBook Pro before it wasn't called a MacBook Pro yet). I have been having problems with it over the past year and have switched back to my old laptop (17 inch Dell), which is running fine for now. However, I am looking for something new for university. Since I have seen huge quality issues with Apple products after about 4 years of usage each (seen on 2 MacBooks & 3 iTouches), I've been trying to move away from them in general. Also, to me it seems like they have lost their edge on technology which is why I recently got myself a Lumia 920 over an iPhone.

While looking at laptops I have generally been convinced by the windows 8 "convertibles" such as the Surface pro, Asus Tiachi, Dell XPS12 and Lenovo Yoga. My general tendency has been towards the Asus Tiachi due to it's larger screen size while I also like the 2 screen concept. However, in several reviews, major issues were reported regarding the sofware, especially for the screen switching. An alternative for me would be the Surface pro which would come in handy for being portible while I'd have to get a second screen for work at home.

Do any of you have any experience with these divices that you can share?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The Surface Pro is pretty good. I've only seen the Surface RT, but the form factor is very useful.

Whilst you'll get the full advantage of all Windows app, I believe you have to buy Office, which may not end up cheap, unless you already have it, or get Office 365 University.

Also, the whole tablet may end up a bit costly. It depends if you get a cover or not. Whilst the covers are expensive, they will be useful for typing for long periods of time. I'd recommend the type cover, as although it's more expensive, it's easier to type on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I would deffinately get the Type cover with the Surface, although I am also still considering just getting the touch cover for on the go and getting a seperate bluetooth keyboard..

How's the screensize of the surface for word processing/making presentations and all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs2012)
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I would deffinately get the Type cover with the Surface, although I am also still considering just getting the touch cover for on the go and getting a seperate bluetooth keyboard..

How's the screensize of the surface for word processing/making presentations and all?
    The screensize is pretty good for all applications. Office 2013 works pretty nice, and can switch easily between normal mode for maximum space when using a mouse/touchpad and keyboard, and touch mode for easy use on the go.

Either way, as long as you have a keyboard you should be all set.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks! The screen size has been my only thing keeping me from getting it so far since I haven't had a chance to lay my hands on it yet, but looks like it's a slam dunk then

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.