The Student Room Group

Girls: I think you expect too much.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spontogical
That's what I had in mind. It's a great video. :tongue:

People just aren't willing to get out there and make their lives meaningful. I think this is a problem that spans across most people.

EDIT 2: Though the pick-up community, hmmm....I do agree with the majority of what he's saying though.

Yeh disregarding the pickup bit this information can be understood universally by men and women.:smile:
Reply 61
Don't let the media dictate your preferences and tastes.
Original post by tommyjazzhands
Firstly, I would like to say that girls/women have it tough. If not more so. However, society, advertising and the americanisation of culture is demanding more of us every decade, including guys.

Why is it that we are all made to feel inadequate all the time? We have to have better this, bigger that or faster this? To me it's rubbish.

Admittedly this has been triggered by my longing for girls who seem to care more about what society and their peers expect as opposed to what they actually feel themselves individually.

I feel like I have to be taller, stronger, more intelligent, cooler and more popular. If I could isolate one reason, it would be the increasing Americanisation of our culture. Life is not perfect and I think we should all learn to be more acceptant of each others imperfections. Ok rant over. I'd like to add I do quite well with the opposite sex, but sometimes I feel like I'm being judged on superficiality to a great extent.

Any thoughts?

You're quite right...At least on the dating website that I've found the girls are very demanding.
I've also lived in the USA for 4 months in california. The girls in the uk acting like american films is very true and the irony is that when I was in america, the girls were a heck of a lot more humble and family orientated than they are here.
Even just take a look at plenty of fish, have a look at UK search, then USA, France, Spain Search.
UK search 5 out of 10 thumbnails it's a girl posing with a drink in her hand out clubbing and about 8 out of 10 had no family pictures
All the other countries that I tested mostly had family pictures and no posing with beer or wine.
Totally different cultures.
Original post by Delbyo69
Hi Molly,

I have no idea what age you are but I can understand your anxiety.

I've previously been married to a curvy women with a large bust etc

Now am with a slim girl with small bust.
I love her to bits and would give anything for her - magazines and tv are going with fashion (it was skinny girls in the 90's btw)

Don't worry about it - trust me men love you all and as always it's different strokes for different folks :smile:

I'm 16, so I don't remember the 90s, haha :smile:

Thanks :smile: I am in a good, stable relationship at the moment so alls well that ends well, I just get tired of hearing people of all body shapes feeling they aren't good enough. I also hear a lot of guys feeling that they socially aren't good enough, but like other people have said the guys I've come across don't seems to bow down to the pressure in the same way...I don't know. It must be the human condition, we want what we can't have. I want defined curves, someone else wants the opposite and that's life :smile:
Original post by superduper9
Well said! Good to hear someone with a lot of sensible things to say and that too written in an easy to understand way :tongue:

We're all under pressure and we feel it the most, or at least reflect on it the most, when single. It helps to be positive and make the best out of the situation you have!

Thank you, I've wanted to say that for ages :smile:
Original post by CJKay
You need better friends.

Haha, maybe I do, but I do hear a lot of guys talking about a girl's bum or boobs or whatever over everything else....the girls I speak to don't really refer to guys that way, but maybe we're a minority, I don't know :smile:
In reality it's always been like this, people look for a partner who has something special, most of the time it's subconscious, women are looking for men who are strong, big, fast, attractive, but in some cases women go for the little "ducklings". Men look for women who are also attractive, small, etc. But sometimes there are exceptions.

It's like the animal kingdom, male lions will fight over the females and whoever wins will get her. It's the alpha male and the alpha female that win.

It's the survival of the fittest, and it will always be like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Molly_xox
I'm 16, so I don't remember the 90s, haha :smile:

Thanks :smile: I am in a good, stable relationship at the moment so alls well that ends well, I just get tired of hearing people of all body shapes feeling they aren't good enough. I also hear a lot of guys feeling that they socially aren't good enough, but like other people have said the guys I've come across don't seems to bow down to the pressure in the same way...I don't know. It must be the human condition, we want what we can't have. I want defined curves, someone else wants the opposite and that's life :smile:

I'm 16 and I remember the 90's, how can you not remember it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RemiMarcelle
I'm 16 and I remember the 90's, how can you not remember it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was 2 years old, that's why I don't remember it :')
Reply 69
Original post by tommyjazzhands
Firstly, I would like to say that girls/women have it tough. If not more so. However, society, advertising and the americanisation of culture is demanding more of us every decade, including guys.

Why is it that we are all made to feel inadequate all the time? We have to have better this, bigger that or faster this? To me it's rubbish.

Admittedly this has been triggered by my longing for girls who seem to care more about what society and their peers expect as opposed to what they actually feel themselves individually.

I feel like I have to be taller, stronger, more intelligent, cooler and more popular. If I could isolate one reason, it would be the increasing Americanisation of our culture. Life is not perfect and I think we should all learn to be more acceptant of each others imperfections. Ok rant over. I'd like to add I do quite well with the opposite sex, but sometimes I feel like I'm being judged on superficiality to a great extent.

Any thoughts?

Very true. You hear often about girls being pressured by glossy magazines and size zero models, but not the other way around with guys.

Also, it seems ok for girls to say how fit/muscly a guy is and discuss their bodies, but on the other hand, guys who discuss a girl's looks are seen as cruel, vain and shallow.
Original post by Molly_xox
I was 2 years old, that's why I don't remember it :')

Ohh haha, fair point

Quick Reply

Latest