Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Ive been accepted into Kings for Computing and Security. I want to know about the living costs. I know theyre really high. Im currently thinking of this budget-

Accommodation-6500 pounds for the year. Ive listed Great Dover Street Apartments as my first choice. Thats around 160p a week.

For other living costs- 1000p a month. Roughly 250p a week. (Im not really sure about this)
    Works out to 18500p for the year.

Is this estimation fine? Or do you think Id need lesser?
    I am an International student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VivanKumar)
    Hey guys!

Ive been accepted into Kings for Computing and Security. I want to know about the living costs. I know theyre really high. Im currently thinking of this budget-

Accommodation-6500 pounds for the year. Ive listed Great Dover Street Apartments as my first choice. Thats around 160p a week.

For other living costs- 1000p a month. Roughly 250p a week. (Im not really sure about this)
    Works out to 18500p for the year.

Is this estimation fine? Or do you think Id need lesser?
    I am an International student.
    http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I would say £1200-1300/month is enough including rent, transport and living costs. It's what research councils pay PhD students in London.

ReputationRep:
    I get by on about £1200 a month, but that's not enough for much leisure or social life.
    You should do OK with £18k for the year.

ReputationRep:
    I thought 1200 would be more than enough. In the sense, for leisure and social life. Considering I dont go out every night that is- just over the weekends.
    Can any of you give me a breakdown of your weekly expenses? For travel, eating, going out etc.

Itll just help me a bit more.

Thanks Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    In a month, I currently pay £500 rent, plus utility bills of upto £60, and a mobile phone contract of £30. My travelcard for Zone 1-4 is £168. So that’s nearly £760 a month before food, drink, leisure, shopping, or any additional expenses are taken into account.
    If you can get by on all that stuff for £440 a month (£15 a day) then £1200 a month is enough for London. It’s an expensive city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    In a month, I currently pay £500 rent, plus utility bills of upto £60, and a mobile phone contract of £30. My travelcard for Zone 1-4 is £168. So that’s nearly £760 a month before food, drink, leisure, shopping, or any additional expenses are taken into account.
    If you can get by on all that stuff for £440 a month (£15 a day) then £1200 a month is enough for London. It’s an expensive city.
    Aren't there yearly travel cards? They should be cheaper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.