Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a laptop.

My requirements are:
    400£ budget
    17" screen
    Can do all the basic stuff together without any lagging (streaming,internet,video editing, music, itunes, word processing...)

I've found a good option in my opinion but don't know much about specs.
    I heard to avoid windows 8, so my options are very limited.

Kindly give me your opinion about the specs and about the acer aspire brand

Acer 17"LCD
    Intel® Core™ i3
    Windows 7
    hdd 500GB
    ram 4GB
    wireless 802.11b/g/n
    3.5 mms Jack for Speaker & Mic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-i3-380M...4493867&sr=1-2

Edit: I've found another good option but with windows 8 operating system.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350E...I2LT6KOVHWVBD8

Which option is the best?

ReputationRep:
    Acer isn't the greatest brand in the world, but for under £400 I can't find anything better specs-wise. Just be forewarned that you won't be able to do any demanding video editing on an integrated graphics card, you'll want to spend more if you're going to be doing that to an intensive level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a laptop.

My requirements are:
    400£ budget
    17" screen
    Can do all the basic stuff together without any lagging (streaming,internet,video editing, music, itunes, word processing...)

I've found a good option in my opinion but don't know much about specs.
    I heard to avoid windows 8, so my options are very limited.

Kindly give me your opinion about the specs and about the acer aspire brand

Acer 17"LCD
    Intel® Core™ i3
    Windows 7
    hdd 500GB
    ram 4GB
    wireless 802.11b/g/n
    3.5 mms Jack for Speaker & Mic
    Video editing is not basic. As Gofre says, you'll have trouble potentially. As with streaming, depends what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Video editing is not basic. As Gofre says, you'll have trouble potentially. As with streaming, depends what you mean.
    By streaming I mean watching live tv without the laptop turning into a heater and can't use it whilst typing a word file at the same time.

What do you think about windows 8? because there is a new samsung with better specs (i5, 750hdd...) for 100£ more, but it's loaded with windows 8. cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Acer isn't the greatest brand in the world, but for under £400 I can't find anything better specs-wise. Just be forewarned that you won't be able to do any demanding video editing on an integrated graphics card, you'll want to spend more if you're going to be doing that to an intensive level.
    thanks, my video editing is basic
    What do you think about windows 8? because there is a new samsung with better specs (i5, 750hdd...) for 100£ more, but it's loaded with windows 8.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people will stubbornly tell you not to use Windows 8. I've been using it since it came out, and seriously, it only takes a day or two to adjust to. The only major visual difference is that there's a Start screen instead of a Start menu. The vast majority of regular Windows 7 programs will work perfectly fine in Windows 8's desktop mode, you won't lose anything. Plus, because it has a lower minimum requirement, it generally runs much faster. In short - go for the Windows 8 machine!

ReputationRep:
    thanks, my video editing is basic
    What do you think about windows 8? because there is a new samsung with better specs (i5, 750hdd...) for 100£ more, but it's loaded with windows 8.
    I'm yet to properly use it, I use OS X at home and Windows 7 at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenarth)
    A lot of people will stubbornly tell you not to use Windows 8. I've been using it since it came out, and seriously, it only takes a day or two to adjust to. The only major visual difference is that there's a Start screen instead of a Start menu. The vast majority of regular Windows 7 programs will work perfectly fine in Windows 8's desktop mode, you won't lose anything. Plus, because it has a lower minimum requirement, it generally runs much faster. In short - go for the Windows 8 machine!
    thanks

(Original post by Gofre)
    I'm yet to properly use it, I use OS X at home and Windows 7 at work.
    ok. Just in case, here are the specs:
    17.3-inch Laptop - (Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ok. Just in case, here are the specs:
    17.3-inch Laptop - (Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
    Which graphics processor is it? And what's the price? You want something a bit better than an Intel 4000/integrated graphics card if you plan to do video editing. That might take the cost up to £500+ on a 17inch laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Which graphics processor is it? And what's the price? You want something a bit better than an Intel 4000/integrated graphics card if you plan to do video editing. That might take the cost up to £500+ on a 17inch laptop.
    Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM.
    That's what you asked for?

And the price is 458£. I can't stretch more than that. Do you think I can find a better deal somewhere?
    And which one do you recommend between the acer or this one?
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:

And the price is 458£. I can't stretch more than that. Do you think I can find a better deal somewhere?
    Thanks for your help
    Tbh you'll be looking £500+ for a good video editing laptop. Unless you don't mind 15inch?

For the other stuff the Samsung should be fine. Although i'm sure you can get that laptop a bit cheaper than £460. Maybe £410? I'll have a look.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your help
    These are not graphics card specs. The spec you posted above also had an i3 processor instead of an i5?

Windows 8 is a new operating system so may be buggy but I have not used it and most people seem to like it. If you could post both links and edit your OP to include, that would be useful so that we could directly compare.

ReputationRep:
    These are not graphics card specs. The spec you posted above also had an i3 processor instead of an i5?

Windows 8 is a new operating system so may be buggy but I have not used it and most people seem to like it. If you could post both links and edit your OP to include, that would be useful so that we could directly compare.
    Just edited my post
    Hopefully it's easier to compare

Tbh you'll be looking £500+ for a good video editing laptop. Unless you don't mind 15inch?

For the other stuff the Samsung should be fine. Although i'm sure you can get that laptop a bit cheaper than £460. Maybe £410? I'll have a look.
    Thanks! Waiting for your link. And between the two, you would pick the samsung?

ReputationRep:
    Just edited my post
    Hopefully it's easier to compare

Thanks! Waiting for your link. And between the two, you would pick the samsung?
    If you have more money, pick the Samsung. They are very similar in spec though so it depends on whether you'd want to spend that extra £100.

ReputationRep:
    If you have more money, pick the Samsung. They are very similar in spec though so it depends on whether you'd want to spend that extra £100.
    A bit more of HDD isn't bad. But you're right, if I have to pay 100£ more, I'd rather spend it on a 3 years warranty.

cheers anyway for your input!

ReputationRep:
    A bit more of HDD isn't bad. But you're right, if I have to pay 100£ more, I'd rather spend it on a 3 years warranty.

cheers anyway for your input!
    Also, you get 2 GB RAM which was the discerning factor to me. Samsung are also considered to have a generally better build quality than Acer. Check which type of warranty you're getting before you purchase.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry for the late reply.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...06/version.asp
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers

I think this would be the better one purely for the
    -Full 1080p HD screen
    -6GB RAM
    -Nvidia GT630M 1GB
    -USB 3.0
    -Full gesture support for Windows 8

Which is better than the previous laptops you posted

ReputationRep:
    Which is better than the previous laptops you posted
    Great
    Do you know how Acer customer support is? If there is any fault or problem within the 1 year warranty. Does Acer have its own 3 year plan (like dell or apple)? or we need to find a third party?

ReputationRep:
    http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/S...&puid=5fe232f0

Buy a Dell refurb. Seriously good value for money.

ReputationRep:
    Great
    Do you know how Acer customer support is? If there is any fault or problem within the 1 year warranty. Does Acer have its own 3 year plan (like dell or apple)? or we need to find a third party?

Acer is good enough. 1 Year standard warranty. They do a 3 year extended warranty for about £60 i think?

You can go for a dell refurb as well and you can get some cracking deals. But do bear in mind that it is a refurb. Although i don't know anyone who's had a problem with a dell refurb.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.