Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The first question says that an economy only produces goods X and Y, and that the PPC is defined by the equation Y = 20 − 15X. Assuming that the country is at the full level of employment, what is the opportunity cost of producing 1 unit of Y?If I remember correctly, the options were 1/15 of a unit of X, 1/20 of a unit of X, 5 units of X, and one more that I can't recall.The second one asks to explain two things that the PPC can illustrate. This one is supposed to be an essay worth 8 points.I would really appreciate some help.

ReputationRep:
    OC - how much of good X do you have to give up for that unit of Y?

That should be fairly simple for you to calculate tbh.

PPC - it is a trade off right, you have to choose between the good on the y- and the x-axis. So the PPC illustrates the rate (i.e. OC) of this trade off. The other thing it can show is what the economy as a whole can produce, overall. Talk about points above, on, and below the curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    OC - how much of good X do you have to give up for that unit of Y?That should be fairly simple for you to calculate tbh. PPC - it is a trade off right, you have to choose between the good on the y- and the x-axis. So the PPC illustrates the rate (i.e. OC) of this trade off. The other thing it can show is what the economy as a whole can produce, overall. Talk about points above, on, and below the curve.
    Thanks - I understand the part that you have just explained. But how do I apply it to the equation (Y = 20 − 15X)? There was no PPC drawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by likezerogravity)
    Thanks - I understand the part that you have just explained. But how do I apply it to the equation (Y = 20 − 15X)? There was no PPC drawn.
    The OC of producing 1 unit of Y is the number of units of X you could have produced instead with the resources you put into that 1 unit of Y. Change Y to (Y+1) on the LHS, how do you add 1 to the RHS? Can't change the constants so have to change X. -15(X -1/15) = -15X + 1. The OC is 1/15

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.