Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Leaving a grad job without one lined up Watch

ReputationRep:
    Start talking to recruitment organisations, forward your CV, carry on with this job and they can start looking for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatehunny)
    thats do refreshing to hear! Congratulations on your success. I'm planning on staying with the company but applying to grad schemes every day as they've only just opened up again. Hoping that I can still make some money etc whilst looking for a job that isn't soul destroying.

Did you apply/have interviews for grad schemes or did you just apply for 'proper jobs'. Thanks for the kind words!
    I had 'proper' interviews. Usually involving a few psychometric tests emailed out, which I passed, now that I know how to. Actually, funnily enough, I had my first ever AC today for a London company. I'll let you know how that turns out. It's quite ironic how life sometimes plans out. Steve Jobs really did have the wisest words; "you can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards."

As corny, movie-esque and rose-tinted as the following may sound, it is possibly the truest, most profound thing I have learned in the year after I've graduated: Looking at when I first created this thread, I genuinely thought that I was an idiot, and that I'd faked it to get there. All I can say is that some companies, no matter how big, are just bad at helping new people. Fact of life. Welcome to the world of incompetence. It isn't your fault, and that's the first lesson that life really deals.

Also, when you say left the job to take up another one, what exactly do you mean? Thanks for the clarification
    I went through all my posts and I swear I never said anything like that? Maybe I'm missing it. Basically, I left the grad job and worked in a non-grad job, and started applying for other jobs. I got another job offer pretty fast, thinking about it. Go figure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I meant, you worked in just a 'regular' non grad job for the 6 months or so since you posted the thread. I think ill keep on applying to grad schemes as they open, now is a good time as they're only jut starting to open for 2014.

Hope the assessment centre went well! Any info would be nice! Also, where did you practice the psychometric tests, ie what provider/website? Also, when did you graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I meant, you worked in just a 'regular' non grad job for the 6 months or so since you posted the thread. I think ill keep on applying to grad schemes as they open, now is a good time as they're only jut starting to open for 2014.

Hope the assessment centre went well! Any info would be nice! Also, where did you practice the psychometric tests, ie what provider/website? Also, when did you graduate?

I graduated in August 2012, I practised psychometric tests (mainly numerical) on Assessment Day and yeah, I hope the AC went well too. I have another offer on the table, but since I'd rather not relocate I hope I get this one. It's a nice position to be in; a year of real world experience does make you grow, whether you see it or not.

ReputationRep:
    That's great news, I hope you get it. Seeing you in this position gives me hope. I'm applying for all grad schemes atm, whilst working the soul destroying job I have now, it's in retail management as well, so Christmas will literally be the worst time of year.

Ah I see, did you do any SJTs? What are your thoughts on those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Many people will already know I'm not happy with my job. People treat me like a mute idiot, there is no support, training or any form of buddy system. I am incredibly unhappy and I'm sure the job isn't for me.

I am left in a terrible situation. I want to go, come home and job hunt, but i have no time to do so. I'm depressed all the time and the 12 hour day is unbearable, door to door.

It can't just be me feeling like this! I feel utterly alone and defeated at work and genuinely afraid of asking about trivial questions. If i leave, how likely will it affect future employment?

I've been there for over two months and i dislike both the work and the environment. What can i do? Sticking it out doesn't feel like an option anymore.
    Sounds like an accountant. Probably an accountant. Yep, he's an accountant.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, if it is an accountancy firm, find the dead bodies asap. If they decide to give you a bad reference, you then have leverage. Accountants are notorious for being slave drivers and legally dubious with their operations.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.