Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking for suggestions for my Isolation in American Literature thesis Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    So I made the mistake of proposing the theme for my thesis while it sounded great in my head, which quickly backfired. I would really appreciate it if anyone were to have some suggestions for bibliography or approaches for this.

Basically, my thesis is about the submotif of isolation in literature, with a focus on contemporary American literature (3-5 works). Unfortunately, as good as it sounds in my head, it's pretty hard to find enough common streaks between works in order to prove my point, mainly because philology has something against the premise that two authors with little in common can express the same feeling, so I have to find more common streaks and focus on solid argumentation to make the thesis work.

Basically I want to express how the feeling of solitude&isolation are perpetual, and push isolation as an evergreen background for literature. I decided that focusing on the social isolation of outcasts might make for a more solid approach, but I'm currently at a standstill.

Some of the works that I'm thinking on building the study case about are: Middlesex, I know why caged birds sing, Herzog, Flowers for Algernon, Girl's Interrupted, One Flew Over a Cuckoo's nest.

Paul Auster might work nicely, but I just can't find anything to connect any of his works to the others. The Grapes of Wrath, The Bell Jar and The Great Gatsby might also make the cut, but I'm not sure about them; again, mainly due to having to relate them to the others (I find it hard to relate The Great Gatsby to any other work which is not also written by Fitzgerald). I'm also seriously lacking critical bibliography.

Any ideas as to how I could make this work?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.