Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to reference Balzac's Le Père Goriot in the Harvard style, because I'm not using the original edition (obviously), but it just doesn't look right to put (Balzac 1993, pp...) after a quote! Equally, I can't write (Balzac 1835 pp...) because the page numbers could be wrong for the original. I've looked around on the internet and I see that you're supposed to write the edition number, but like with any classic, this book has been published many times by different publishers!! Anyway I hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Using (Balzac 1993, pp...) is correct if the edition of the book you are using/quoting from was printed in 1993; the corresponding pages from that book will be accurate as well.

If you are NOT using/quoting directly from the original 1835 text, then you do not include the original publication of the text, you would only be confusing the markers and could subsequently lose marks. Do not worry about past reprints/publishers so much, just use the details of the book you have to hand, that's all you need and should include.

If it's a republication of an old book, it's also acceptable to do this in Harvard referencing:

Balzac 1993[1835] pp...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both! Really helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.