Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the United States recognize China's claim over Taiwan? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the United States recognize China's claim over Taiwan?
    Yes
    14.29%
    No
    85.71%

ReputationRep:
    Most countries have already done this, including in the west. To be fair, they haven't done it out of principle but mostly self-interest. Nevertheless the US continues to support Taiwan.

It's also interesting to note that opinions within Taiwan are actually divided between the Pan-Blue coalition who support unification and Pan-Green coalition which supports independence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think the US should just keep avoiding the issue. Right now with the way things are with Japan the US does not want to appear like it is abaonding allies or giving in to China

ReputationRep:
    I thought the USA officially recognised the PRC? I know they support Taiwan in various ways, but I think they stop short at recognising Taiwan as the official government of China, or officially recognising them as an independent country, separate from China (which I don't think Taiwan officially claims to be anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Ofc they shouldn't. The Chinese are appalling in the way they lay claim to people's land who absolutely DO NOT want to be under their rule. They should also not recognise their claim to Tibet. The Chinese government is a truly awful regime and I pray I get to witness a revolution in that country during my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    No they should not and they actually do not as they try to build up and maintain a sphere of influence there (Hong Kong, Taiwan, S Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Japan to name a few) and are quite successful, especially in the case of Japan and S Korea which are major economies.

They surely rival China in terms of influence in the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThreadPoster)
    Most countries have already done this, including in the west. To be fair, they haven't done it out of principle but mostly self-interest. Nevertheless the US continues to support Taiwan.

It's also interesting to note that opinions within Taiwan are actually divided between the Pan-Blue coalition who support unification and Pan-Green coalition which supports independence.
    Which Western countries have specifically backed China's claim? I think most nations recognise the PRC as a diplomatic formality, that doesn't necessarily mean they support China taking over the ROC.

ReputationRep:
    What IS the situation with Taiwan? You need a separate visa and passport to visit Taiwan but the same applies for Hong Kong and Macua but the latter two admit they are part of China. Taiwan never said they were independent but China doesn't allow them to. Why does China not allow Taiwan independence? Do they get tax money from Taiwan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronki23)
    What IS the situation with Taiwan? You need a separate visa and passport to visit Taiwan but the same applies for Hong Kong and Macua but the latter two admit they are part of China. Taiwan never said they were independent but China doesn't allow them to. Why does China not allow Taiwan independence? Do they get tax money from Taiwan?
    As I understand it, Taiwan is effectively independent. They don't pay taxes to mainland China, and the PRC doesn't have any direct power over Taiwan.

However the PRC (the government that controls mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau) considers there to be one China, which includes Taiwan. Officially, the ROC (the government which controls Taiwan) says the same.

Presumably China doesn't want Taiwan to declare independence because it would compromise the belief that Taiwan is a part of China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    As I understand it, Taiwan is effectively independent. They don't pay taxes to mainland China, and the PRC doesn't have any direct power over Taiwan.

However the PRC (the government that controls mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau) considers there to be one China, which includes Taiwan. Officially, the ROC (the government which controls Taiwan) says the same.

Presumably China doesn't want Taiwan to declare independence because it would compromise the belief that Taiwan is a part of China.
    Why does it matter if the belief is compromised? What drawback will there be for Taiwan admitting they are independent? I have a couple of Taiwanese friends, they certainly don't think they are Chinese (they hate it when people assume they're Chinese). They actually look slightly different too-have a yellowish skin tone/are slightly browner than the Chinese. Are they even Han?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if the belief is compromised? What drawback will there be for Taiwan admitting they are independent? I have a couple of Taiwanese friends, they certainly don't think they are Chinese (they hate it when people assume they're Chinese). They actually look slightly different too-have a yellowish skin tone/are slightly browner than the Chinese. Are they even Han?
    I think most people from Taiwan are Han. Although there are also native Taiwanese who were there before the Chinese came in the 17th century.

I think the PRC has said they would attack Taiwan if they claimed independence. Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think most people from Taiwan are Han. Although there are also native Taiwanese who were there before the Chinese came in the 17th century.

I think the PRC has said they would attack Taiwan if they claimed independence. Something like that.
    I mean WHY does it matter if they claim independence? ROC has nothing to do with PRC so what will the PRC gain out of claiming land that they have no jurisdiction over? The people of Taiwan know they aren't Chinese

ReputationRep:
    I mean WHY does it matter if they claim independence? ROC has nothing to do with PRC so what will the PRC gain out of claiming land that they have no jurisdiction over? The people of Taiwan know they aren't Chinese
    I guess it's nationalistic pride or something. I didn't say it made sense.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Taiwan is in my opinion a sovereign state and thus China has no claim to Taiwan or it's maritime territory. However, i do not recognize the rulers of Taiwan as being the rightful rulers of China.

ReputationRep:
    I think, like many others, that the status quo is the best solution. I don't think the US or any other country should recognise the ROC's claim to the rest of China, as they clearly lost that in the war that occurred.

I think if you asked most Taiwanese people that if they wanted to declare "Taiwan" as a country, well, they would say, yes.

However, there is one thing that is stopping that and that is China. They have threatened to attack Taiwan if it were to declare itself a country seperated from China. The ideal solution that China is trying to pursue is the "one country, two systems" policy - ex. like Hong Kong and Macau.

I feel a majority in Taiwan would oppose this and I also feel a lot of people are satisfied with the status quo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.