Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live in Scotland, so my uni fees will be paid for me if I study in Scotland. However, I attended an event at imperial college London, and ever since I've wanted to study there! I love everything about the course and the university. even better is that it's in London!
    However, neither my parents nor I can afford the cost of university or living, so will I be able to get bursaries or a student loan? I know the maximum I can get from SAAS would be £7000 (loan& bursary combined) which wont even cover fees but are there any other ones or will I have to go to the bank?

Imperial is my dream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officegirl4)
    I live in Scotland, so my uni fees will be paid for me if I study in Scotland. However, I attended an event at imperial college London, and ever since I've wanted to study there! I love everything about the course and the university. even better is that it's in London!
    However, neither my parents nor I can afford the cost of university or living, so will I be able to get bursaries or a student loan? I know the maximum I can get from SAAS would be £7000 (loan& bursary combined) which wont even cover fees but are there any other ones or will I have to go to the bank?

Imperial is my dream
    Student Finance England will provide the full loan for tuition fees for EU and UK citizens.
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Student Finance England will provide the full loan for tuition fees for EU and UK citizens.
    Good luck
    There is also a generous financial support package, depending on family income

www3.imperial.ac.uk/studentfinance/prospectiveugstudents/supportpackage

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    Good ol' English financial support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoC)
    Good ol' English financial support
    Lol - still bit jel of scotland where the fees are payed for you

ReputationRep:
    Lol - still bit jel of scotland where the fees are payed for you
    That's probably the only reason ill be able to go to university, so lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's probably the only reason ill be able to go to university, so lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Grrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    I believe the loans/grants are higher for London.

To be honest though, have you had a serious think about wanting to shell out £27,000 for fees and extortionate living costs when you could get it for free with much lower living costs? I guess if you're certain it's your dream university and nowhere in Scotland will live up to it, i.e. it's worth £50,000 of debt, then go for it, you only do an undergraduate degree once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I believe the loans/grants are higher for London.

To be honest though, have you had a serious think about wanting to shell out £27,000 for fees and extortionate living costs when you could get it for free with much lower living costs? I guess if you're certain it's your dream university and nowhere in Scotland will live up to it, i.e. it's worth £50,000 of debt, then go for it, you only do an undergraduate degree once.
    I believe that OP is possibly going to be applying for medicine! At Imperial it's a 6 year course.......£54k in fees, which she doesn't need to pay if she stays in Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    So basically I have to decided between £100,000 debt or stay in Scotland if I want to do medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So basically I have to decided between £100,000 debt or stay in Scotland if I want to do medicine?
    I believe the NHS funds your last year fees. So at Imperial it would be five years of £9,000 fees i.e. £45,000, plus six yeas of maintenance loans which depend on your household income, but let's say £6000 i.e. £36,000. So it would be around £81,000, depending on your income.

Of course, unless you live at home for the degree in Scotland, you'll need to have a maintenance loan to pay for rent and living costs. I think it's under £5,000 so 5 years of that would be around £25,000.

Therefore, you have to decide between: around £81,000 of debt or £0-25,000 of debt.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You get paid fairly well for being a doctor though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)

Therefore, you have to decide between: around £81,000 of debt or £0-25,000 of debt.
    This, all the way.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the universities in Scotland; some of them are actually quite good. And, you wont need to live far away from home which is a plus.

And since you're doing medicine, so where the university you went, mostly, doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    £81,000 of debt is very extreme! Realistic, but extreme! Although it would be my absolute dream, I don't fancy carrying such vast debt around for years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Moving to Imperial :hat2:

Imperial is my dream
    Good luck
    The OP is based in Scotland, so will be applying through SAAS (the funding body for Scotland) wherever she studies in the UK.

But, yes, both tuition fee and loan support is available (alongside means tested SAAS and Imperial grants). The maintenance grant doesn't cover fees but then it doesn't need to, it's only for living costs.

£81,000 of debt is very extreme! Realistic, but extreme! Although it would be my absolute dream, I don't fancy carrying such vast debt around for years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is debt in the sense that it is money you owe, and a relatively small rate of interest is now charged on student loans (previously interest was only set at the rate of inflation). However, it's not debt in the sense that it will be a burden. You probably won't find the repayments substantial and are unlikely to have a substantial effect on your disposable income. If you are out of work then you aren't expected to make repayments. I don't think it is taken into consideration when applying for a mortgage either. In a sense it does work more as a graduate tax than debt.

Still, this does mean making more in terms of repayments than if you stay in Scotland. I'm not forcing you toward Imperial, for all medical schools are "good", and there are excellent universities in Scotland regardless. But when you say Imperial is your "dream", can I ask what you mean? Why do you find Imperial so appealing? Is it just London life, and the brand name, or are you also attracted to the style of teaching at Imperial and life at the university?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is my dream
    If Imperial is really your dream, I'd say don't let any thing stop you from reaching your dream!. Personally, I waited 3 whole years for this moment to go to Imperial and I never gave up.

You get paid fairly well for being a doctor though
    I do agree with joostan; and I'd recommend that you think outside the box and consider working at other countries in the future including some Golf countries e.g. UAE, Qatar, etc

(Original post by kka25)
    you wont need to live far away from home which is a plus.
    Come on, London is not "far away" from Scotland! I mean if it is, then how far do you think China is? Really it is not easy for any one to be away from home, but the end goal is worth it.

But think it through and take your time; and you may want to have a chat about it with your parents or your brother/sister. They surely will give you the best advice.

ReputationRep:

Imperial is my dream
    Definitely have a look at Imperials website or call them up.........they offer there own bursaries, scholarships, etc you could definitely get quite a lot out of it and reduce your burden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spankk)
    [COLOR=#0000ff]Come on, London is not "far away" from Scotland! I mean if it is, then how far do you think China is? Really it is not easy for any one to be away from home, but the end goal is worth it.
    I understand what you're saying, and I often chuckle when I hear people say that a couple of hundred miles is "too far", wondering what someone from Australia might think.

However, I know 400 or 500 miles may not seem a huge distance for someone from Australia, or Russia, but it is a decent length relatively speaking in terms of UK geography. I think this is what was meant.

Aberdeen to London is, what, eight hours car journey and effectively the entire length of the country. Even Newcastle, the most northerly city in England, to Aberdeen can be a trek for some.

It's frequently said by university applicants that, say, Bristol to Edinburgh, or London to Newcastle is too great a distance. Aberdeen to London is even further. As you may know, university students still rely on their support structure at home and it's important for some to be close enough where a short weekend trip is possible.

There's a reason why Aberdeen's universities aren't particularly popular with English students.

ReputationRep:
    I know you haven't mentioned it, but a large chunk of your money will go into accommodation at Imperial. Be clever with what accommodation you apply to, and be willing to compromise. It's less than a year you'll be living there after all, but that extra £50 a week will really begin to stack up when you could be spending it on food (ie alcohol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Moving to Imperial :hat2:

The OP is based in Scotland, so will be applying through SAAS (the funding body for Scotland) wherever she studies in the UK.

But, yes, both tuition fee and loan support is available (alongside means tested SAAS and Imperial grants). The maintenance grant doesn't cover fees but then it doesn't need to, it's only for living costs.

It is debt in the sense that it is money you owe, and a relatively small rate of interest is now charged on student loans (previously interest was only set at the rate of inflation). However, it's not debt in the sense that it will be a burden. You probably won't find the repayments substantial and are unlikely to have a substantial effect on your disposable income. If you are out of work then you aren't expected to make repayments. I don't think it is taken into consideration when applying for a mortgage either. In a sense it does work more as a graduate tax than debt.

Still, this does mean making more in terms of repayments than if you stay in Scotland. I'm not forcing you toward Imperial, for all medical schools are "good", and there are excellent universities in Scotland regardless. But when you say Imperial is your "dream", can I ask what you mean? Why do you find Imperial so appealing? Is it just London life, and the brand name, or are you also attracted to the style of teaching at Imperial and life at the university?

I went to an event at imperial, and it just seemed like the place I wanted to be. I then looked into the course and the university and the whole structure of the course seemed prefect to how I felt I wanted to learn. The London life also appeals to me, if I don't get into imperial I fully intend to move down to London anyway (once I have a degree)

The brand name doesn't mean anything to me, the only reason I took the initial liking to it was because I visited the university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.