Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have received a bill for the TV licence. It said it expired March 31st and I thought it was fine - I get my money tomorrow, so I can pay it then.
    Now I got a new email saying 'final reminder'. It says "Your TV licence expires 23:59 tonight". The date listed is still March 31st. But today is 28th??
    I can't pay it today. What happens when it's overdue? (Which is btw not my fault, it is supposed to expire the 31st, still says so).

ReputationRep:
    It may possibly be something to do with the fact that it's a bank holiday on April 1st, so any payment wouldn't clear until the 2nd, leaving you with no licence for a day. So this it the last day you could pay to ensure that it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    It's dated, and written, as if it's the 31st. It expires at Midnight on the 31st, and until then your current licence is fine.

ReputationRep:
    They will send out an inspector to use his Cain against you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not the end of the world if you don't pay it on time. Just don't watch TV between when the current one running out and when you get a new one. If you don't have a license for a few days, you're not breaking any laws as long as you don't watch TV during that time. Even if you did watch TV, it's not like anyone would know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not the end of the world if you don't pay it on time. Just don't watch TV between when the current one running out and when you get a new one. If you don't have a license for a few days, you're not breaking any laws as long as you don't watch TV during that time. Even if you did watch TV, it's not like anyone would know.
    I was supposed to get a new card and a check in the mail sent from home, but it wasn't there. Either the tenant forgot it or it wasn't sent in the first place.
    So I'm pretty much penniless till I get my pay the 2nd April.
    Will they switch off the TV? What will happen if I pay two days after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    I was supposed to get a new card and a check in the mail sent from home, but it wasn't there. Either the tenant forgot it or it wasn't sent in the first place.
    So I'm pretty much penniless till I get my pay the 2nd April.
    Will they switch off the TV? What will happen if I pay two days after?
    Are you serious?

No, they won't switch off the TV. There's no way for them to switch off the signal to your house.

Nothing will happen if you pay two days later. For one thing, it's perfectly legal to not have a license if you don't watch TV during those two days. There's also no way they could know if you did watch TV during those two days. If they do happen to send an "inspector" round during those two days to catch you in the act (that's the only way they can find out), you can just tell them to go away. They have no more right to enter your home than any random person that shows up at your door. But it's pretty unlikely that would happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Are you serious?

No, they won't switch off the TV. There's no way for them to switch off the signal to your house.

Nothing will happen if you pay two days later. For one thing, it's perfectly legal to not have a license if you don't watch TV during those two days. There's also no way they could know if you did watch TV during those two days. If they do happen to send an "inspector" round during those two days to catch you in the act (that's the only way they can find out), you can just tell them to go away. They have no more right to enter your home than any random person that shows up at your door. But it's pretty unlikely that would happen.
    Like you I initially laughed at the OP's suggestion that the TV could be switched off then I realised actually whilst of course it won't happen it snot so silly a question to ask. After all if you don't pay the phone bill your phone line gets cut off, same with gas and electricity bills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Like you I initially laughed at the OP's suggestion that the TV could be switched off then I realised actually whilst of course it won't happen it snot so silly a question to ask. After all if you don't pay the phone bill your phone line gets cut off, same with gas and electricity bills.
    Yeah you're right. After all, that is how it works with cable and satellite TV. If we had the right infrastructure and equipment the same could apply to terrestrial digital TV. Although the main issue with terrestrial TV is there's no way to send information back, your TV only receives information. So if they were to implement something like that you'd need it connected to the Internet or something to authenticate and check you have a TV license.

The thing is, it then goes from being a TV license to being a subscription. Which probably would actually make more sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.