Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I am waiting on a payment from my friend which he has transferred online, and it has been like 4 working days already and I still haven't received the money?? How long do the payments normally take to transfer online....

It may be over the limit of faster payment (they may do more checks on it for security reasons)
    But i am worried about how long it is taking???

ANy ideas why it is taking longer????

Thanks,
    Adam

ReputationRep:
    Call your bank?

ReputationRep:
    2 hours, most UK banks are part of the faster payment network and rarely are payments sent between people as BACs payments and that can be 3-5 days....unless your sending incredibly large amounts there wouldn't be any security checks against it from Fraud and Risk. Large amount, when you mention that, your talking over £100,000.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07tucker)
    Hey Guys,

I am waiting on a payment from my friend which he has transferred online, and it has been like 4 working days already and I still haven't received the money?? How long do the payments normally take to transfer online....

It may be over the limit of faster payment (they may do more checks on it for security reasons)
    But i am worried about how long it is taking???

ANy ideas why it is taking longer????

Thanks,
    Adam
    Was it from a non-UK bank? Sometimes they take longer. Have you checked the details of the sort code and account number carefully with your friend, just to make sure they have credited the correct account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Was it from a non-UK bank? Sometimes they take longer. Have you checked the details of the sort code and account number carefully with your friend, just to make sure they have credited the correct account?
    If it was an international payment, they wouldn't have let the transfer go through without the correct IBAN..... which is the most important part. Its most likely the guy just never sent the payment in the first place. Should get him to do a print screen of his internet banking to show if hes actually made the transfer in the first place. Faster payments - which is the way money is transferred domestically can't be reversed so...if hes done it...he has no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    If it was an international payment, they wouldn't have let the transfer go through without the correct IBAN..... which is the most important part. Its most likely the guy just never sent the payment in the first place. Should get him to do a print screen of his internet banking to show if hes actually made the transfer in the first place. Faster payments - which is the way money is transferred domestically can't be reversed so...if hes done it...he has no excuse.
    I thought international payments just check to see if it's a valid number? Eg, that the bank exists and that the branch is correct and you are using a valid account number format? Also, that point is irrelevant since we are talking at this stage about a possible delay and, as I said, international payments take longer, so until OP responds to that point, your intervention is pointless.

In addition, it is quite easy to send a payment between UK banks online by simply giving a correctly formatted and valid account number - just not the number of the person you actually want to send the money to! This happens a lot and it can be very difficult to get the money back if it does, so people need to be very careful when sending money online to another account that they have the details exactly right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.