Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing the world Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, i was thinking..
    If there are so many people who want to help change the world - like for instance i just saw on a thread that someone wants to be in a job which will help people, and i for one am exactly the same. Also, in books and songs and whatnot, the authors/artists are often trying to get messages across, like that everyone is equal and you should just generally be a decent person - so like, if there are so many people wanting to help change the world, and stop poverty/ racism/ bullying etcetc, why is there not more being done?!

I know this doesn't really make that much sense. My thoughts are quite jumbled..

But i'm thinking, if so many people want the world to be a better place, why not do more about it? Why not refrain from *****ing, why not every now and then put money in a charity box, why not go out of your way to make people feel welcome...

I'm sure some people do, but obviously not enough is being done because this world is pretty ****ed sometimes...

Yeah. Shoot.

ReputationRep:
    Generally people are not nice. They are self centred, no matter how much money they put in a charity box. Talking about these things makes people feel better about themselves, but actually doing something productive requires effort and work. Plus, you may think you are doing something helpful and productive but which is not viewed the same way by people on the receiving end, because not everybody is the same and people don't share the same values and world view. This is the case for many ideologies that try to make the world "better", their definition of "Better" is not shared by everyone, and to some people their definition of "better" would actually be labelled "worse". I guess the answer is just treat everyone with respect unless they don't deserve it, and don't try to force your idea of "better" onto other people who may not share your views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidihi7894)
    Generally people are not nice. They are self centred, no matter how much money they put in a charity box. Talking about these things makes people feel better about themselves, but actually doing something productive requires effort and work. Plus, you may think you are doing something helpful and productive but which is not viewed the same way by people on the receiving end, because not everybody is the same and people don't share the same values and world view. This is the case for many ideologies that try to make the world "better", their definition of "Better" is not shared by everyone, and to some people their definition of "better" would actually be labelled "worse". I guess the answer is just treat everyone with respect unless they don't deserve it, and don't try to force your idea of "better" onto other people who may not share your views.
    It's more positive to go about your business thinking people are nice, that way you treat them with respect automatically and if they do happen to be a person who is 'arsey' the they can learn from you being nice to them. The same with just putting change in a charity box - I believe everyone is an example to each other and that way we learn from each other, resulting in more kindness/respect/whatever in general.
    The examples the OP gave would only be seen as worse to a very very disturbed person IMHO.
    Ps - 'treat people with respect unless they don't deserve it' - you should treat those people the same as everyone else - half the people will be gratefull and show respect back, otherwise you can just look like the better person for the half that 'don't deserve it'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ... Not really much i can say to that
    It sounds about right. I just want there to be more decent people out there, i'm holding out hope that not every human is completely self centred. I know everyone feels they have to be at least a tiny bit to survive, survival of the fittest and that, but it's quite a pessimistic view on life!
    'I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... ' It seemed fitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sockhead)
    It's more positive to go about your business thinking people are nice, that way you treat them with respect automatically and if they do happen to be a person who is 'arsey' the they can learn from you being nice to them. The same with just putting change in a charity box - I believe everyone is an example to each other and that way we learn from each other, resulting in more kindness/respect/whatever in general.
    The examples the OP gave would only be seen as worse to a very very disturbed person IMHO.
    Ps - 'treat people with respect unless they don't deserve it' - you should treat those people the same as everyone else - half the people will be gratefull and show respect back, otherwise you can just look like the better person for the half that 'don't deserve it'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So true. I agree with everything you just said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethan.94)
    So, i was thinking..
    If there are so many people who want to help change the world - like for instance i just saw on a thread that someone wants to be in a job which will help people, and i for one am exactly the same. Also, in books and songs and whatnot, the authors/artists are often trying to get messages across, like that everyone is equal and you should just generally be a decent person - so like, if there are so many people wanting to help change the world, and stop poverty/ racism/ bullying etcetc, why is there not more being done?!

I know this doesn't really make that much sense. My thoughts are quite jumbled..

But i'm thinking, if so many people want the world to be a better place, why not do more about it? Why not refrain from *****ing, why not every now and then put money in a charity box, why not go out of your way to make people feel welcome...

I'm sure some people do, but obviously not enough is being done because this world is pretty ****ed sometimes...

Yeah. Shoot.
    I think there are lots of people out there thinking that they 'would do more if they could, but what's the point if no one else is going to do it.' (Such as myself) I think everyone is just clinging on to the 'what's the point, I'm the only one' factor...and then there are those who talk the talk but can't walk the walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    I think there are lots of people out there thinking that they 'would do more if they could, but what's the point if no one else is going to do it.' (Such as myself) I think everyone is just clinging on to the 'what's the point, I'm the only one' factor...and then there are those who talk the talk but can't walk the walk
    Yeah i know what you mean, i think that's how i am with vegetarianism or animal testing. It's just 'what's the point, they're not going to kill less animals just because i stop buying their products'
    Ahh it's so frustrating though, i wish everyone would!! I really want to motivate everyone to do something about it, and be better people (I don't mean this in an 'i'm better than you all way' i'm totes the same), but i reckon the world needs a reality check!

ReputationRep:
    I share your feelings :console: I guess we just have the make the most of life and carry on doing our 'little everyday things'...and enlighten people more about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    I share your feelings :console: I guess we just have the make the most of life and carry on doing our 'little everyday things'...and enlighten people more about this.
    That face thing is the cutest. But yeah, i guess soo, sounds like a plan! :bl:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I want to help change the world for the better too. I plan to do this through my writing, teaching aikido and making impacts on the lives of the people I meet.

ReputationRep:
    ... Not really much i can say to that
    It sounds about right. I just want there to be more decent people out there, i'm holding out hope that not every human is completely self centred. I know everyone feels they have to be at least a tiny bit to survive, survival of the fittest and that, but it's quite a pessimistic view on life!
    'I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... ' It seemed fitting.
    I know exactly what you mean.

Don't give up, because I don't think most people or even a majority of people are "completely" self-centred. I think all of us have a mix - we want to do good and to do well and we care about others, even if just family members or lovers - but most people care quite a lot.

Not long ago I was in town walking along and an elderly woman tripped and fell and she started to weep with the shock of it. Immediately about half a dozen concerned people gathered. People sat with her and consoled her, someone called an ambulance. Several men kept people from crowding her too much and generally there was a whole team of complete strangers eager to offer assistance!

Things like that show that altruism is very widespread.

ReputationRep:
    So, i was thinking..

Yeah. Shoot.
    You sound like a hippie!
    What you are talking about is a fairy tale and will only happen on paper .
    If everyone in the world was good and trusting. We'd all be living under some sort of a dictatorship!
    Men kind wants war! It's in our blood...

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha i'd love to be one! Aside from the whole unwashed part of it...
    But nah, i disagree, i reckon if we all tried it could happen. Maybe not for a long, long time, but it's totally possible.

(Original post by bahjat93)
    You sound like a hippie!
    What you are talking about is a fairy tale and will only happen on paper .
    If everyone in the world was good and trusting. We'd all be living under some sort of a dictatorship!
    Men kind wants war! It's in our blood...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I know exactly what you mean.

Don't give up, because I don't think most people or even a majority of people are "completely" self-centred. I think all of us have a mix - we want to do good and to do well and we care about others, even if just family members or lovers - but most people care quite a lot.

Not long ago I was in town walking along and an elderly woman tripped and fell and she started to weep with the shock of it. Immediately about half a dozen concerned people gathered. People sat with her and consoled her, someone called an ambulance. Several men kept people from crowding her too much and generally there was a whole team of complete strangers eager to offer assistance!

Things like that show that altruism is very widespread.
    Thankyou! This was the sort of response i was hoping for
    Yeah, it's things like that that make me have faith in humanity!
    The thing is, i know i have lots of examples of really selfless, kind acts, but when it comes to it, i can never remember them, and then i start doubting if they ever actually happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yes, I want to help change the world for the better too. I plan to do this through my writing, teaching aikido and making impacts on the lives of the people I meet.
    Aikido?
    Sounds like a plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Where do you train? I've been practising for two years now. It definitely needs spreading in the UK.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Aikido?
    Sounds like a plan
    Yeah, it's a martial art with a non-violent philosophy behind it. I recently became an instructor in it (a major milestone as far as I'm concerned).

(Original post by 321zero)
    Where do you train? I've been practising for two years now. It definitely needs spreading in the UK.
    Rising Sun Aikido in Weston-super-Mare.

ReputationRep:
    Because people are unaware of what true self-actualisation is. Which I think is the key to world peace tbh. The art of living, and appreciating the littlest thing you have - rather than longing for the things you don't have. Or rather, trying to look at the world beyond the physical realities of our own eyes. Engaging yourself and others in content that enriches our lives rather than those which constrain it.

It's a shame but there is more negativity out there than positivity - or rather, the negatives are always getting the media spotlight. We should all try our best to improve the world- will take many generations though. Definitely is worth pursuing.

ReputationRep:
    So, i was thinking..

Yeah. Shoot.
    Try working for an NGO or charity. If you do work for an NGO, make sure you do some academic research into their work as many NGOs are heavily criticised by academics for inefficiency. On the other hand, there are many great NGOs, like Doctors without Borders, who do amazing work.

ReputationRep:
    Aikido?
    Sounds like a plan
    Aikido is great but shouldn't really be treated as a form of self-defense. I treat it more as a discipline and do it for enjoyment. I highly advise it though, as you will meet many like minded people at seminars and at your dojo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.