Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is public transport REALLY a no-go place to approach women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's definitely not ideal; for one thing, a lot of women would feel trapped and uncomfortable because if someone sits down next to you on the bus and starts talking to you then there's no easy way to remove yourself from the situation if you don't want to talk to them. Also, since it isn't really a social space I'd find it a bit intrusive, especially if I was trying to read or something, but other people might have different views.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend it, and if you really want to then I think you should be careful how you go about it. Pay attention to body language etc and if you try talking to her and she's not interested then leave her alone.

I should add that I know at least one person who has experienced sexual harassment on public transport, and while I'm certainly not implying that you're intending to harass anyone, you should remember that when you first meet someone you have no idea what their intentions are, so don't be surprised if women are somewhat wary of talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    is a plane public transport? if so Ive chatted to lots of nice female co-pilots
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You do get some pretty ladies on the underground, not that I have made an attempt to talk to one!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some women get hassled a lot on public transport, they get dirty old men pressing up to them, touching them in supposedly casual accidents, they get leered at by guys of all ages, etc. Put yourself in their shoes - do you think you might get just a bit sick of it?

ReputationRep:
    Precisely what whatsername said! It's quite a difficult scenario in which to approach a girl. More often than not, they're not expecting to be chatted up when travelling on buses or trains. They may be also in a rush to get to work/uni/college or be really tired after a long hard day!

There are some girls, however, who are quite happy to start chatting. I find it comes down to a bit of luck. In another thread, I wrote that girls who do want train romances should make themselves more approachable by smiling, eye contact, right body language etc. Before I approach a girl, I would look for these tell tale signs before saying those all important first few words! You can often gauge from eye contact and the response you get when you smile at a girl if she would welcome a conversation.

I find that its easier to approach a girl who is a regular on the same train journey as you. This has happened to me once; this girl used to get the same train as me pretty much every day. After a few days of smiling, eye contact and pleasantries, I was able to say "how was work today .... what do you do" and it just went from there. That was a relatively smooth route to striking a conversation because I had seen her a few times. So personally, I tend to approach girls I have seen a couple of times, otherwise chatting up someone on a train that you've just come across is a bit too random, unless they're drop dead gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    is a plane public transport? if so Ive chatted to lots of nice female co-pilots
    Yessss! I've chatted to lots of really really nice air hostesses - in my view, Emirates air hostesses are the best, really friendly, very pretty and lovely to chat to

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoy getting chatted up on the train :P makes the journey much more amusing!!

ReputationRep:
    A colleague gets on the same train and station as me but I havent chatted to her yet because I dont think she wants to.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to bars and parties, school/work/gym for daytime. In other words, places where you both are due to a mutual connection/interest.

ReputationRep:
    In general there's nothing to stop you/suggest you won't meet with some success, however I would further qualify this by saying:

• 'Beautiful' girls (who look relaxed/bored) ~ go for it if you're a decent chap with a genuine desire to strike up conversation and a smile on your face. These girls rarely experience this approach in public outside of bars/clubs so to some it will seem novel/attractive (if properly executed)

• 'Hot' girls (who aren't making eye contact) ~ often attract a lot of unwanted attention (sometimes yes that does include even being spoken to, a lot of them feel like they can't go anywhere with makeup/tight fitting clothes on without attracting some kind of a comment so they will often be almost automatically hostile/ignore you)

I've only chatted a woman up on public transport once and it was not just because I had something to say but because I kind of had to say something!:

She caught the same bus as me, got off at the same tube station, then got on the same tube, then switched to another line and got on the same tube carriage again!

I couldn't fail to notice this as she was a very attractive latina! So I made a quip like: "Are you following me!?" with a cheeky smile

She was a little taken aback for a split second but then lowered her guard and relaxed, and we had a good old chinwag

Turned out she was returning to Brazil for a while but gave me her card anyway and told me if I was ever in Sao Paulo I should look her up!

I was in my early 20's at the time (and still finding my feet with women) and this was a lawyer in her late 20's, so this was rather a heartening experience! :borat:

TBH I'd probably find it annoying but I'm generally doing something whilst on public transport, and it's irritating to look up from your book/iPhone/whatever and see someone ogling you. Having said that I've chatted to a couple of cute guys on trains and had some pretty nice conversations, so just make a bit of eye contact followed by small talk (if someone looks like she's OK with you talking to her) and see where it goes really.

I wouldn't recommend it. When I sit on a bus/ tube and a guy sits next to me and starts chatting me up, I feel a mixture of 'Oh, here we go again' and 'urrrrrrrrgh I'm trapped until my stop trying to respond politely (but not enthusiastically, as then he'll see it as a green light and never stop harassing me)'.

So no, basically. If I'm in a nightclub, I may be looking for male attention- but when I'm commuting I'm doing it out of necessity, and I don't want to be hassled.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest depends on the girl, personally I'd be more than happy to have a nice chat with someone on a long train journey, not that anyone's every approached me but other people differ I guess

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind a guy chatting me up on public transport, I think it just depends, I would say its easier to talk to someone on like a train or coach than a bus just because its a longer journey. Like try and strike up a random conversation and if it's going well then you can always ask them if they wanna grab a coffee or something at some point. Maybe wait til either you or she is getting off the train/ coach just so its less awkward if she says no.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably be more than happy for someone to talk to me on public transport. Most people tend to avoid me and look away when I look at them :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so imo, I know I'm a guy but I get kind of bored when I'm on public transport so it'd nice to have someone (not a weirdo) to have a friendly chat with in the meantime :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Causing mini accidents, like spilling your drink on them, is probably the only time when it's ok to talk to a girl you like without creeping them out. I'd rather do that than attempt to strike a conversation with them out of nowhere to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't mind, especially if i'm sat by myself on a long train journey with nothing to do. A friendly conversation could be nice

ReputationRep:
    i've done it a few times and the way i see it is the girls are pretty much bored and you just come along to brighten their day up
    one tip i would give is to start talking to them on the platform e.g. as simple as asking them if its the right platform for the bus/train you are looking for and then carry that journey inside the bus/train etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.