Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is public transport REALLY a no-go place to approach women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Really? So have you had ladies add you after giving them the business card?

haha, legend, I need to try that.

So how do you approach the girl, do you talk about something like, 'how long you been waiting for a train'? (even though tube trains are like every minute).
    You shouldn't be afraid, what have you go to lose? Someone throwing it away, you still have to do your stationary order in the first place... you might as well put it to good use, to benefit yourself.... If you notice with most people, if theres something for you to give, someone else is happy to receive that, whether its goods or a service. Of course it helps if you make a girl smile or laugh in the first instance though....that ice breaker. Ive never done it on the platform, but on coming back from KCL, had someone women sitting next to me mid 20s (good looking), see my KCL Geog soc jumper and said she did geography at UCL....gave her my card and she sent me a essays she done from years ago.... some were useful as a template.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummibear)
    No, the worst place to approach women is a public TOILET. Wrong on so many levels.
    LOL, that is insanity.

You should read books on objection handling and over coming objections, if your resorting to that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    You shouldn't be afraid, what have you go to lose? Someone throwing it away, you still have to do your stationary order in the first place... you might as well put it to good use, to benefit yourself.... If you notice with most people, if theres something for you to give, someone else is happy to receive that, whether its goods or a service. Of course it helps if you make a girl smile or laugh in the first instance though....that ice breaker. Ive never done it on the platform, but on coming back from KCL, had someone women sitting next to me mid 20s (good looking), see my KCL Geog soc jumper and said she did geography at UCL....gave her my card and she sent me a essays she done from years ago.... some were useful as a template.
    classy stuff!

But what if it wasn't for the jumper you had, how would you strike up a convo?

ReputationRep:
    LOL, that is insanity.

You should read books on objection handling and over coming objections, if your resorting to that.
    To be fair, I'm a woman to whom this has happened not something I tend to do myself lol

ReputationRep:
    classy stuff!

But what if it wasn't for the jumper you had, how would you strike up a convo?
    Anything social observations, if its a really really fit girl....train journeys....girl has a book etc......(i hate reading books)......i have iphone just google the book and review and start up a conversation.....i have a good memory for stuff so it works out.....and your not going to go into detail..."because you dont want to ruin the book" ...... just be flirty in the fact its a good book.....personally i would never read an Ian McEwan book - not constructive....

ReputationRep:
    Haha, when I'm on public transport, I like to think about interesting important stuff, and if some creepy over-eager dweeb comes in between me and my thoughts, I'd get really agitated.

Sitting on a train/bus gives time to think, valuable time, time that is so hard to obtain anywhere else.

I'd just stick with other places, like the mall or mc donalds.

Though...I guess everyone is different. So...it might work for your future wife who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Haha, when I'm on public transport, I like to think about interesting important stuff, and if some creepy over-eager dweeb comes in between me and my thoughts, I'd get really agitated.

Sitting on a train/bus gives time to think, valuable time, time that is so hard to obtain anywhere else.

I'd just stick with other places, like the mall or mc donalds.

Though...I guess everyone is different. So...it might work for your future wife who knows?
    Dweebs,lol.... I thought it was human nature to interact with others, depends on what kind of person you are though..... The tendency is for pretty girls, they love attention and flattery....who doesn't.... only those who are insecure....

ReputationRep:
    There is a woman who works in the same office as me who gets on my train every morning. I often try to make eye contact with her to start a conversation, but she always seems to look in the other direction. On one occasion I passed her as we were going through the ticket barriers to change trains. I turned to face her but she ignored me and scuttled away.

She doesn't seem to talk to me much at work either. I don't think she likes me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Anything social observations, if its a really really fit girl....train journeys....girl has a book etc......(i hate reading books)......i have iphone just google the book and review and start up a conversation.....i have a good memory for stuff so it works out.....and your not going to go into detail..."because you dont want to ruin the book" ...... just be flirty in the fact its a good book.....personally i would never read an Ian McEwan book - not constructive....
    The reason why I don't openly talk to girls on the train/bus etc, is incase..

1) They already have a boyfriend
    2) They ain't the type of guy I would go for
    3) Therefore It would knock my confidence for the next time I try talking to a girl.

It's a fine art, I think you've mastered it enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    There is a woman who works in the same office as me who gets on my train every morning. I often try to make eye contact with her to start a conversation, but she always seems to look in the other direction. On one occasion I passed her as we were going through the ticket barriers to change trains. I turned to face her but she ignored me and scuttled away.

Box of chocolates or Krispy Kremes to bring to an office is a good ice breaker.....shows your a colourful character....and generous also...or talking about your work/company etc....The majority of people like to talk about themselves...again its human nature to be proud of yourself - 80-20 Paretos Law.

ReputationRep:

Sounds exactly like this song, one of my Dad's favourites.

ReputationRep:
    Dweebs,lol.... I thought it was human nature to interact with others, depends on what kind of person you are though..... The tendency is for pretty girls, they love attention and flattery....who doesn't.... only those who are insecure....
    Hell yeah I'm insecure, I admit it. Though I feel...everyone is in sense.

Though that isn't the reason I wouldn't like being approached on public transport, I just find it overbearing and a little annoying, in my opinion, haha.

I like to spend most of the time thinking, like I said, I mean it's happened a couple of times, for example this guy approached me and I felt a bit awkward as...didn't really know him, and half the stuff he was saying was really cheesy and corny and I felt like he was invading my privacy almost, interrupting my thoughts.

Though like you said it depends on the kind of person you are, so...yeah

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I don't openly talk to girls on the train/bus etc, is incase..

1) They already have a boyfriend
    2) They ain't the type of guy I would go for
    3) Therefore It would knock my confidence for the next time I try talking to a girl.

It's a fine art, I think you've mastered it enough
    Wipe it aside if you get gunned down, it happens to all off at the best and worst of times....I look at it similar to work situations, cant always convert every bit of business.....same as Messi/Falcao he can't score off every shot can he.... theres no such thing as a type though.... you don't need to be Chuck Bass...to do it... we are all individuals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Hell yeah I'm insecure, I admit it. Though I feel...everyone is in sense.

Though that isn't the reason I wouldn't like being approached on public transport, I just find it overbearing and a little annoying, in my opinion, haha.

I like to spend most of the time thinking, like I said, I mean it's happened a couple of times, for example this guy approached me and I felt a bit awkward as...didn't really know him, and half the stuff he was saying was really cheesy and corny and I felt like he was invading my privacy almost, interrupting my thoughts.

Though like you said it depends on the kind of person you are, so...yeah
    Well think of it as, that person doesn't know you at all and there must be a reason why he is trying to start up a conversation. Hopefully a positive one....not a crazy psychopath....but yeah im like anyone i judge someone by looks/dress etc.... before engaging in a conversation.....stereotypical you can say.... Nervousness often brings out cheesy and corny phases and lines

ReputationRep:
    Box of chocolates or Krispy Kremes to bring to an office is a good ice breaker.....shows your a colourful character....and generous also...or talking about your work/company etc....The majority of people like to talk about themselves...again its human nature to be proud of yourself - 80-20 Paretos Law.
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Sounds exactly like this song, one of my Dad's favourites.

Good song.

I am not too concerned. I don't really like her in that way... I just find it odd how she seems to avoid me.

There are girls in the office who I like - in fact, I spent most of my day discussing game plans regarding one such girl. It is quite hard to engineer ways of talking to them....

The bringing food to work idea is a good one. It is already quite a regular thing anyway - we will often have people bring in items of food and occasionally we get a random delivery of cakes/pizza/easter eggs. However, due to the dynamics of the office, I am not sure such a plan would work for my purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Good song.

I am not too concerned. I don't really like her in that way... I just find it odd how she seems to avoid me.

There are girls in the office who I like - in fact, I spent most of my day discussing game plans regarding one such girl. It is quite hard to engineer ways of talking to them....

The bringing food to work idea is a good one. It is already quite a regular thing anyway - we will often have people bring in items of food and occasionally we get a random delivery of cakes/pizza/easter eggs. However, due to the dynamics of the office, I am not sure such a plan would work for my purposes.
    Your lucky you can be unique in your office, you can have "distinguishable ties/shirts".
    http://www.duchamplondon.com/ties/paisley-ties

Im stuck with Santander red... with a white shirt

ReputationRep:
    Your lucky you can be unique in your office, you can have "distinguishable ties/shirts".
    http://www.duchamplondon.com/ties/paisley-ties

Im stuck with Santander red... with a white shirt
    Nice ties - I'm building up a nice collection. I even cleared a drawer which will now be exclusively for ties.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person I guess, but I would feel very uncomfortable being chatted up on a bus or train. Not wanting to tar all men with the same brush, but I had an experience waiting for a bus once where it was just me and this guy and he sat practically in my lap on the bench so I got up and walked away, but he kept trying to talk to me and then got on my bus. I was extremely nervous when I was on the bus because it's not like you can really escape if you feel threatened by someone's behavior, and I'm now quite wary about where I sit etc on public transport. I think it would make a lot of women feel uncomfortable so I'd say don't do it unless they're making eye contact with you and stuff like that and you think there's a chance of conversation working well.

ReputationRep:
    Nice ties - I'm building up a nice collection. I even cleared a drawer which will now be exclusively for ties.
    Haha, perks of working in a large environment, Im stuck with the same 7-10 people,lol...One's dress tells can reveal a lot about someones personality, good or bad.... I love having a LV work bag....so distinguishable....

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Early in the morning I use the bus to college and usually I'm so tired I just shove my headphones on and listen to music. If anyone disturbed me early on a morning I wouldn't be happy lol. I talk to people at the bus station if they talk to me and on the way back I probably would talk to men as long as they aren't being creepy in any way. I once had a guy get on the bus comment on my skirt and legs, that was weird.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.