Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Advice/tips/do's/do nots Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am close to reaching my ideal weight, i decided to try and go to the gym to work out with some weights. Currently, I'm making a routine timetable before i start it seriously. as a noob, can i get some thoughts/answers about the points/questions below?

1)do different body parts on different days.
    so im thinking:
    chest/back=monday, arms/shoulder=wednesday, legs=friday?

2) get a lot protein in you (max number of grams is your weight in lbs) to help recovery (i.e. lessen the terrible aches). main times to consume would be the first 15 minutes after a workout and when you go to sleep (also, sleep normally)

3) use free weights, machines are not as effective

4) do 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise (where you have multiple exercises per body part)...where you have a 1 minute rest in between sets. after you finish 5 sets, switch to another body part. after you did all body parts required for that day, start again until you feel tired

5)As anti social as it sounds, I prefer to work by myself rather than rely on someone (a spotter). Would being by myself seriously impact how much i get out of a particular session? would it take longer to get the same result as with a spotter if i did it by myself?

6)Is music (as motivating as it is) a health an safety risk when working out around people who also have weights? the gym staff told me about the accidents people have with leaving weights around, would music do anything?

7)Does working out at night or in the morning matter? Also does doing cardio at night or in the morning matter?

8) what is the difference between body building and strength building? i want to get strength such that i can do any daily tasks that involve strength a lot easier e.g. holding the shopping, and wouldnt hurt to have some noticeable abs for self confidence therefore what am i looking for? will this impact what sets/reps i do and if so, what is it?

9)Any advice/tips for beginners who know nothing? anything serious or worth noting that wasnt included above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    I am close to reaching my ideal weight, i decided to try and go to the gym to work out with some weights. Currently, I'm making a routine timetable before i start it seriously. as a noob, can i get some thoughts/answers about the points/questions below?

1)do different body parts on different days.
    so im thinking:
    chest/back=monday, arms/shoulder=wednesday, legs=friday?

2) get a lot protein in you (max number of grams is your weight in lbs) to help recovery (i.e. lessen the terrible aches). main times to consume would be the first 15 minutes after a workout and when you go to sleep (also, sleep normally)

3) use free weights, machines are not as effective

4) do 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise (where you have multiple exercises per body part)...where you have a 1 minute rest in between sets. after you finish 5 sets, switch to another body part. after you did all body parts required for that day, start again until you feel tired

5)As anti social as it sounds, I prefer to work by myself rather than rely on someone (a spotter). Would being by myself seriously impact how much i get out of a particular session? would it take longer to get the same result as with a spotter if i did it by myself?

6)Is music (as motivating as it is) a health an safety risk when working out around people who also have weights? the gym staff told me about the accidents people have with leaving weights around, would music do anything?

7)Does working out at night or in the morning matter? Also does doing cardio at night or in the morning matter?

8) what is the difference between body building and strength building? i want to get strength such that i can do any daily tasks that involve strength a lot easier e.g. holding the shopping, and wouldnt hurt to have some noticeable abs for self confidence therefore what am i looking for? will this impact what sets/reps i do and if so, what is it?

9)Any advice/tips for beginners who know nothing? anything serious or worth noting that wasnt included above?
    1) Do full body 3x/week for the first 6 months or so. Gets you stronger quicker and helps you learn how to do the main lifts cos you're doing them more often.

2) Just eat a big serving of protein with every meal. 10g here or 10g there won't make any difference. Just eat right 90% of the time, more if you want to gain weight, less if you want to lose and you'll be OK.

3) Correct as far as you're concerned.

4) Don't time your rest periods, it's stupid. You're in the weight room and not o the track. However, don't be lazy. As for a routine, just do starting strength or something similar. AS WRITTEN.

5) Depends on you. I work alone, others simply can't. Do what feels right for you.

6) Not unless you're an idiot.

7) No and no.

8) Work hard and be consistant.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice as usual from Old School which has effectively ended the thread but I would like to add one bit of advice:

Don't overthink everything so much. The basics are basic and will account for most of your results. Let the minutae like worrying about protein to the gram and measuring rest times to the second take care of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Excellent advice as usual from Old School which has effectively ended the thread but I would like to add one bit of advice:

Don't overthink everything so much. The basics are basic and will account for most of your results. Let the minutae like worrying about protein to the gram and measuring rest times to the second take care of themselves.
    thanks

also, what is the difference between using a large weight with few reps and using a small weight with large number of reps?
    yes with the latter you cant be as comfortable with the large weight (given that youve never held the weight) but is there any other difference?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    thanks

also, what is the difference between using a large weight with few reps and using a small weight with large number of reps?
    yes with the latter you cant be as comfortable with the large weight (given that youve never held the weight) but is there any other difference?
    With one you are training to get better at lifting heavy things I.e
    To get stronger and with the other, you are training to move something light around lots which is a type of endurance.

Just pick a goal and train that. Fitness is specific to a task - you improve that fitness by training it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.