Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a plane has cartesian eqn: x+2y+3z=4
    a force acts on the plane where F=2i - j + k the units of F are Newtons

Find the component of F normal to the plane.

-----------------------------------------------

Would I calculate the cross product of F with the vector form of the equation for the plane, and this would give me the normal vector which is F isn't it?

BUT I'm unsure how to convert the cartesian form for the plane to a vector form

Please help!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by DonnieBrasco)
    Please help!
    You don't need to work out the vector form of the plane.

Just note that if the plane has equation x+2y+3z=4, then i+2j+3k is a normal vector.

And you want to utilise a function of the dot product, rather than vector product.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially you are required to discover the projection vector of the force F onto the normal to the plane given.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    if i recall correctly you can do F.nu where nu is the unit vector in the direction of the normal to obtain the magnitude of the component. Then multiply that by nu to get the vector component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if i recall correctly you can do F.nu where nu is the unit vector in the direction of the normal to obtain the magnitude of the component. Then multiply that by nu to get the vector component.
    Absolutely correct.

F.nu gives the length of projection of the force F onto the normal to the plane. So do remember to append nu at the back of the resulting scalar product to arrive at the required vector.

Hope it helps. Peace.

ReputationRep:
    OK so the unit vector of n is (1,2,3)/root(14) and you're saying that I dot product this with the vector F which gives (1,2,3)/root(14) . (1,2,3) = root(14)

now where do I go? Sorry I'm being a bit slow, not very good with vectors
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    OK so the unit vector of n is (1,2,3)/root(14) and you're saying that I dot product this with the vector F which gives (1,2,3)/root(14) . (1,2,3) = root(14)

now where do I go? Sorry I'm being a bit slow, not very good with vectors
    Check what you've done. You haven't dotted it with F.

When you've done that, this becomes the scaler for the unit vector in the direciton of the normal

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, silly mistake. (1,2,3)/root(14) . (2,-1,1) = 3/root(14), so are you saying that this is the component of the force normal to the plane?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Ahh yes, silly mistake. (1,2,3)/root(14) . (2,-1,1) = 3/root(14), so are you saying that this is the component of the force normal to the plane?
    This is the magnitude of the component, and will be the multiplier of the unit normal vector.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.