Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some of you might have noticed that our Higher Maths and its marking has been in the news lately. If you're worried about it at all, check these videos out - http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/65278.html

ReputationRep:
    Link doesn't work.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    Link doesn't work.
    Should now. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    What exactly was said in the news, can I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd434)
    What exactly was said in the news, can I ask?
    http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-...king-1-2854648

Theres been other publications (as I looked them up earlier) but they all basically say the same thing, and that was the first result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-...king-1-2854648

Theres been other publications (as I looked them up earlier) but they all basically say the same thing, and that was the first result.
    What a load of rubbish! How is the resignation of a few senior markers going to affect the integrity of the course? And as always, if you look at the comment, we've got the usual bunch looking down at the current exam system from their high horse... I'd like to see them sit them.

ReputationRep:
    i'm confused. They change the pass mark for most exams every year, whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd434)
    What a load of rubbish! How is the resignation of a few senior markers going to affect the integrity of the course? And as always, if you look at the comment, we've got the usual bunch looking down at the current exam system from their high horse... I'd like to see them sit them.
    #SQAProblems

Its just because of the chance that the new markers or assessors will not have the experience to write the paper with the same rigour as previous years. People are likely fussing over nothing, but its because this is likely the biggest shift is senior management at the same time, so next years paper could be radically different in terms of difficulty than previous years.

I'm not getting it to be honest. The 2012 paper was found by candidates to be a fair bit more difficult than the 2011. Hence the grade boundaries go down so that grade distribution remains consistent. Why should someone get the sack for something done all the time?

(Original post by deedee123)
    i'm confused. They change the pass mark for most exams every year, whats the problem?
    Just saying, the grade boundary shift for Higher Chemistry last year was greater than that of Higher Maths (albeit the boundary went up instead of down). Why did the Maths assessor get chopped for drastically lowering the boundaries for Maths, but the Chemistry one never even got a word for increasing theirs by a greater amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    #SQAProblems

Its just because of the chance that the new markers or assessors will not have the experience to write the paper with the same rigour as previous years. People are likely fussing over nothing, but its because this is likely the biggest shift is senior management at the same time, so next years paper could be radically different in terms of difficulty than previous years.

I'm not getting it to be honest. The 2012 paper was found by candidates to be a fair bit more difficult than the 2011. Hence the grade boundaries go down so that grade distribution remains consistent. Why should someone get the sack for something done all the time?

Just saying, the grade boundary shift for Higher Chemistry last year was greater than that of Higher Maths (albeit the boundary went up instead of down). Why did the Maths assessor get chopped for drastically lowering the boundaries for Maths, but the Chemistry one never even got a word for increasing theirs by a greater amount?
    i know, it was 6%!

ReputationRep:
    i doubt the resignation is going to be a huge problem, im pretty sure exams are written years in advance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i doubt the resignation is going to be a huge problem, im pretty sure exams are written years in advance anyway.
    A good 4/5 years!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.