Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A while back someone posted a picture on here which said something along the lines of 'Why economics does not equal business' with a large picture with lots of mathematical formulae on it, with the tagline 'all of this can be studied in an economics degree'.
    I have a friend who is doing business and claims they're relatively similar - i feel that this picture will be the best way to resolve the issue. Does anyone know where I can find it?

ReputationRep:
    Neg feedback?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a mere picture is going to convince him, and nor should it.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore that one. Economics is how agents interact in the economy, business is how firms function.

Very basic, simplified difference.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Spam1859)
    A while back someone posted a picture on here which said something along the lines of 'Why economics does not equal business' with a large picture with lots of mathematical formulae on it, with the tagline 'all of this can be studied in an economics degree'.
    I have a friend who is doing business and claims they're relatively similar - i feel that this picture will be the best way to resolve the issue. Does anyone know where I can find it?
    They aren't simple, but a picture won't make him change his mind. My friends studying Business Studies take modules in law, taxation, accounting, audit, etc. whereas in Economics I take modules in microeconomics, macroeconomics, statistics, mathematics, etc.

The content covered is VERY different, but each is equally important and valid. Further, they are equally important in complementing each other, and there can be overlap.

I'm currently studying the impact of exchange rate fluctuations on stock prices. To have a better understanding, however, I need a good knowledge of corporate finance, cash flows, and other "Business" related topics. But without my knowledge of economics (macro/financial economics), mathematics and statistics, I wouldn't actually be able to investigate such an issue.

ReputationRep:
    It is only a half serious discussion, does no-one know at all where I can find the picture?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.