Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which professional qualification is most used for management accountancy in the big 4 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to start studying a professional qualification to kick start my future career in management accountancy / working in industry
    but as there are several accountancy professional qualifications, i am unsure which one is most commonly studied in management accountancy careers

These are the professional qualifications in accountancy
    ACCA, CIMA, ACA, CIPFA, ICAI, ICAS
    I understand financial accounting comes with more stringent rules and regulations, but do management accounting careers require/use the financial accounting qualifications?

the Chartered Institute of Management Accountancy (CIMA) seems most suitable, but are other qualifications preferred over CIMA for careers in Industry / management accountancy?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a management accountant then joining CIMA is the best option (the clue is in the name).

Though I have seen some people with ACCA.

ReputationRep:
    As Tokyo says, CIMA is the qualification management accountants train towards. That said, the ACA / ACCA will open up plenty of management accounting opportunities post qualification, and many choose to go in to management accounting roles in industry after completing their training contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katx)
    Hi,
    I want to start studying a professional qualification to kick start my future career in management accountancy / working in industry
    but as there are several accountancy professional qualifications, i am unsure which one is most commonly studied in management accountancy careers

These are the professional qualifications in accountancy
    ACCA, CIMA, ACA, CIPFA, ICAI, ICAS
    I understand financial accounting comes with more stringent rules and regulations, but do management accounting careers require/use the financial accounting qualifications?

the Chartered Institute of Management Accountancy (CIMA) seems most suitable, but are other qualifications preferred over CIMA for careers in Industry / management accountancy?
    Big 4 don't do management accountancy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Big 4 don't do management accountancy.
    They must do, companies of that size would surely need a finance department/employees/controllers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katx)
    They must do, companies of that size would surely need a finance department/employees/controllers
    Oh you want to have an internal finance role? I think we all assumed you wanted to be client-facing. I think most of the guys who are managers etc. in OneFinance have ACCA, however some don't have any qualifications at all, but obviously they will hit a ceiling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.