Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Trying to keep this very short and sweet so ill give you the bare bones of it. So basically, I'm an A2 student right now. I never even wanted to do A Levels, but my mother was so ashamed I had "failed my GCSES" (I got Ds in science, Bs and Cs in other subjects, so dafuk?) she didn't speak to me for days, told me she wished she hadn't given birth to me. I was due to attend an induction programme at the college I had signed up to. I just agreed to do A levels because I wanted my mam to talk to me and be proud of me. But looking back I didn't deserve to be treated like that, I hadn't done that bad!!!! The sciences I got a D in she made me choose as subjects so it was her own fault. Can you see a pattern here?

So now I'm an A2 student and just got my latest batch of results. I'm a little bit disappointed. They were 2 Ds and a U.

I should mention that I have never wanted to to to university, it is just not for me, whereas my mother always thought I would. I applied to UCAS just to keep her happy, for one degree in social work. I was recently rejected for it because I lack experience.
    Now I have nothing to do after my A Levels. I never wanted to do them anyway.

I've just got an interview for an apprentice dental receptionist but my mother is going to go ballistic. I should be excited but I'm not. I just want her to be proud of me and actually want ME to be happy. This is making me so so miserable. Please help me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell to wise the _____ up

You can't force someone to be proud of something they don't identify with.

I suggest you just do your own thing and move on. Sooner or later she will get over it. And if you can make a success of yourself without education she most likely will be proud of you. If not, then that's too bad. The reality is you can't force her to think in a certain way or do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littledolly)
    Trying to keep this very short and sweet so ill give you the bare bones of it. So basically, I'm an A2 student right now. I never even wanted to do A Levels, but my mother was so ashamed I had "failed my GCSES" (I got Ds in science, Bs and Cs in other subjects, so dafuk?) she didn't speak to me for days, told me she wished she hadn't given birth to me. I was due to attend an induction programme at the college I had signed up to. I just agreed to do A levels because I wanted my mam to talk to me and be proud of me. But looking back I didn't deserve to be treated like that, I hadn't done that bad!!!! The sciences I got a D in she made me choose as subjects so it was her own fault. Can you see a pattern here?

So now I'm an A2 student and just got my latest batch of results. I'm a little bit disappointed. They were 2 Ds and a U.

I should mention that I have never wanted to to to university, it is just not for me, whereas my mother always thought I would. I applied to UCAS just to keep her happy, for one degree in social work. I was recently rejected for it because I lack experience.
    Now I have nothing to do after my A Levels. I never wanted to do them anyway.

I've just got an interview for an apprentice dental receptionist but my mother is going to go ballistic. I should be excited but I'm not. I just want her to be proud of me and actually want ME to be happy. This is making me so so miserable. Please help me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your mum should not dictate your life choices, myself I wanted to do alevels, but I could've easily done something else.

I'd say go do the apprenticeship interview and stuff, you clearly don't want to go university, so whats the point forcing yourself to go somewhere you don't wanna go? Be happy with your own choices, your mother doesn't sound terribly supportive so I'd just go with your gut and apply to jobs that will make YOU the most happy, not your mother.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity why aren't you trying harder in your studies?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear about hiw your mum is treating you. An apprenticeship is a big commitment so think hard. Do you really want to be a dental nurse. If so go for it, if not think hard about what you want to do. Maybe work in any job u get after alevels to give you time to think. I worked in a bookshop and it was awesome

Pm me if u want to talk. Sounds like your parents are asian like mine, so i can deffo relate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Out of curiosity why aren't you trying harder in your studies?
    I do try hard. First year I got all Cs and worked very hard, this year I did the same but the transition from AS to A2 was a bit of a shock. It's much harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Do what makes you happy! I feel sorry for you as I know how you feel about parents not being proud of you, but there is nothing wrong with not wanting to go uni, if you want to do a apprenticeship go ahead and do it sister! Its not like you are wasting your life away!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I'm really sorry to hear about hiw your mum is treating you. An apprenticeship is a big commitment so think hard. Do you really want to be a dental nurse. If so go for it, if not think hard about what you want to do. Maybe work in any job u get after alevels to give you time to think. I worked in a bookshop and it was awesome

Pm me if u want to talk. Sounds like your parents are asian like mine, so i can deffo relate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. I can't really see what else I could do whilst earning. I need some independence and I really think it would make me more mature. I've never had the chance to grow into an adult (even though I am 18), because I've always had decisions made for me, well ones that matter.

Lol, my parents aren't Asian but I can definitely see how it sounds that way. Just western and ever so pushy I'm afraid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a way its her fault for making you pick subjects you have no interest in. You cant expect someone to get good grades in a subject they have no interest in but this only applies to the AS/A level subjects.

Basically do what will make you happy and success will follow. Doing what your parents want you to do will get you nowhere unless they are inline with your own interests.

ReputationRep:
    What your mother does is a bad example as she should be happy whatever you decide and make sure that you're happy. The issue might be that your mother is afraid what other people might think about you and her, don't know any other reason. My mother never ever said to me that she regrets I was born if I've failed an exam. I remember for GCSE Maths I got D or even E but she never behaved like your mother did.

I've seen some person saying why didn't you study harder. The thing is that no matter how hard you study, if you feel no interest in that subject, you won't get good grades (my personal experience). I failed my philosophy exam at uni because I did not feel any interest in that subject and hated it even though I've revised for it for about 7 hours a day.. But for the subject that I felt an interest, with little revision I got an A.

Have you talked with your mother how you feel? Have you told her what actually you want to do in your life? Don't let your mother to put you in a situation where you'll be forced to study something you hate because it just won't be good for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.