Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey there, i have posted this question before, but I still don't full understand.

A detailed explanation would be so so helpful! thanks

a circle passes through the points (0,2) and (0,8) and it's centre lies on the line x=4.

find equation of the circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    hey there, i have posted this question before, but I still don't full understand.

A detailed explanation would be so so helpful! thanks

a circle passes through the points (0,2) and (0,8) and it's centre lies on the line x=4.

find equation of the circle.
    Consider: (4,y) as the centre of the circle - you also know that two points lie on the circle.
    What can you tell me about the lengths of the line from the centre to the points on the circle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Consider: (4,y) as the centre of the circle - you also know that two points lie on the circle.
    What can you tell me about the lengths of the line from the centre to the points on the circle?
    they are equal.

but what do I do with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    they are equal.

but what do I do with this?
    Length = Length.
    Both equations involve y . . .

ReputationRep:
    If the equation of the circle takes form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 where r is the radius, and (a,b) the centre, we know that the x-coordinate for the centre is 4 so we can write centre=(4,b) and (x-4)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2.

We have two variables we need to find (b and r) and two sets of coordinates: (0,2) and (0,8). Plug these in to get two equations:

(0-4)^2+(2-b)^2=r^2
    (0-4)^2+(8-b)^2=r^2

Inspection makes it immediately obvious that (2-b)^2=(8-b)^2. Solve this out and the b^2 terms will cancel and you'll be left with 4-4b=64-16b; add 16b to both sides and take away 4 and you get 12b=60, so b=5. Now back-substitute into either of those two equations we came up with originally and solve and you'll find r^2=25 (r=5) so our equation is (x-4)^2+(y-5)^2=25.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    If the equation of the circle takes form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 where r is the radius, and (a,b) the centre, we know that the x-coordinate for the centre is 4 so we can write centre=(4,b) and (x-4)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2.

We have two variables we need to find (b and r) and two sets of coordinates: (0,2) and (0,8). Plug these in to get two equations:

(0-4)^2+(2-b)^2=r^2
    (0-4)^2+(8-b)^2=r^2

Inspection makes it immediately obvious that (2-b)^2=(8-b)^2. Solve this out and the b^2 terms will cancel and you'll be left with 4-4b=64-16b; add 16b to both sides and take away 4 and you get 12b=60, so b=5. Now back-substitute into either of those two equations we came up with originally and solve and you'll find r^2=25 (r=5) so our equation is (x-4)^2+(y-5)^2=25.

Hope this helps.
    Full solutions are against forum guidelines . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Full solutions are against forum guidelines . . .
    If you read this thread in some detail: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&page=2&page=2 (start from page 1) you will see that full solutions if reasoning is given behind the steps are beneficial to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    If you read this thread in some detail: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&page=2&page=2 (start from page 1) you will see that full solutions if reasoning is given behind the steps are beneficial to the OP.
    That's as may be but doing the question for them before they ask for more help is not particularly beneficial.

ReputationRep:

(0-4)^2+(2-b)^2=r^2
    (0-4)^2+(8-b)^2=r^2

Hope this helps.
    excellent explanation! Exactly what I wanted, i now fully understand it cheers big daddy (awesome name too)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.