Size:  2.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    bumppp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    Name:  ddfdfdfd.png
Views: 133
    It looks like a midpoint. But only from what you posted, I think it can't be concluded.
    What do they say in the exercise? (Or example, whatever it is)

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ddfdfdfd.png
Views: 133
    What's the original question?

ReputationRep:
    the first picture doesnt work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    It looks like a midpoint. But only from what you posted, I think it can't be concluded.
    What do they say in the exercise? (Or example, whatever it is)
    yea, it's a mid point, but I dont see how by dividing it by 2 they get b or 2a? is it correct?

ReputationRep:
    yea, it's a mid point, but I dont see how by dividing it by 2 they get b or 2a? is it correct?
    I don't know either, if would be useful if you posted the original question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    What's the original question?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know either, if would be useful if you posted the original question.
    we don't need it but :P i am just checking to see if the division by 2 is correct?

ReputationRep:
    We can see its a mid point but we haven't got enough information to help you. . .

ReputationRep:
    We can see its a mid point but we haven't got enough information to help you. . .
    I am just not sure about that division by 2. I didn't get b or 2a when I did it... how does it work? We dont need the question

ReputationRep:
    I am just not sure about that division by 2. I didn't get b or 2a when I did it... how does it work? We dont need the question
    The division of (2a - 4)/2 does not give 2a unless a = -2
    Similarly the division of b can give the given result but only for a specific value of b

ReputationRep:
    The division of (2a - 4)/2 does not give 2a unless a = -2
    Similarly the division of b can give the given result but only for a specific value of b
    okay then the solution bank is not correct...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the question. If it said given this is true find b, then yes the bank is correct.
    The solution then goes on to do this and find b.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why don't you post the original question so we can see what you're being asked to work out? It looks like they've calculated the midpoint of a line joining two points and then set this equal to some other point, which allows them to solve for b and a. However, unless you tell us what this other point is supposed to be, no-one can give you a proper answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Why don't you post the original question so we can see what you're being asked to work out? It looks like they've calculated the midpoint of a line joining two points and then set this equal to some other point, which allows them to solve for b and a. However, unless you tell us what this other point is supposed to be, no-one can give you a proper answer!
    The points V(−4,2a) and W(3b,−4) lie on the circle centre (b,2a) . The line VW is a diameter of the circle. Find the value of a and b.

ReputationRep:
    The points V(−4,2a) and W(3b,−4) lie on the circle centre (b,2a) . The line VW is a diameter of the circle. Find the value of a and b.
    There's the gem!
    The midpoint of the diameter VW = the centre of the circle (b,2a) so you do as the solution bank says to find a and b

ReputationRep:
    Since VW is a diameter, then the midpoint is a circle centre (V and W have the same distance from the centre - which is your midpoint too).

ReputationRep:
    There's the gem!
    The midpoint of the diameter VW = the centre of the circle (b,2a) so you do as the solution bank says to find a and b
    but their division by 2 is surly not correct?:confused:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    There's the gem!

Since VW is a diameter, then the midpoint is a circle centre (V and W have the same distance from the centre - which is your midpoint too).
    We got there in the end

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.