Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[HALF CELLS] What happens to the cell potential when water is added to one cell? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The whole question is "when water is added to the chromium half cell, the cell potential changes. Suggest one reason for this observation".
    The other half cell is Cd, chromium has a more negative E cell value than Cd.

I want to know how water affects it and why. Then I can answer the question myself. (: thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    The whole question is "when water is added to the chromium half cell, the cell potential changes. Suggest one reason for this observation".
    The other half cell is Cd, chromium has a more negative E cell value than Cd.

I want to know how water affects it and why. Then I can answer the question myself. (: thanks!
    Look up the Nernst equation. This shows you the effect of concentration (and temperature) on cell potentials ...

ReputationRep:
    I think what the question wants you to discuss the fact that the chromium (or whatever they are) ions are aqueous.

If you add more water to the half-cell you are decreasing the concentration of the (aq) ions.
    If the Equation is Cr3+(aq) + 3e- ⇌ Cr(s) EO:-0.74

by adding water to the half-cell you:
    • Shift the position of the equilibrium to the LHS because the Cr3+(aq) conc. has decreased
    • This result in a 'more negative' electrode potential of the Cr half cell

not sure if the above is correct but that is what I would guess.
    EO is supposed to be the symbol for electrode potential :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freetown)
    I think what the question wants you to discuss the fact that the chromium (or whatever they are) ions are aqueous.

If you add more water to the half-cell you are decreasing the concentration of the (aq) ions.
    If the Equation is Cr3+(aq) + 3e- ⇌ Cr(s) EO:-0.74

by adding water to the half-cell you:
    • Shift the position of the equilibrium to the LHS because the Cr3+(aq) conc. has decreased
    • This result in a 'more negative' electrode potential of the Cr half cell

not sure if the above is correct but that is what I would guess.
    EO is supposed to be the symbol for electrode potential :P
    Thanks! Perfect explanation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.