Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you get given too much change Watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do if you were given too much change?
    I'd pocket it
    52.56%
    I'd give it back
    47.44%

ReputationRep:
    What would you do?

I ask, because I was in the post office and my mum gave me a bill to pay. It was £178.48

I gave £180.48, expecting £2 change. I got £3 from the cashier, and gave the £1 back.

My reason for giving the £1 back was more that it's not really worth someone losing their job over £1

So what would you do then?

ReputationRep:
    Count my blessings and keep the free money.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wouldn't necessarily think of the cashier's job being on the line (at the particular instance), because I would just be stunned and overwhelmed that I got a quid extra.

It all depends on how you're feeling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    My reason for giving the £1 back was more that it's not really worth someone losing their job over £1

They wouldn't lose their job for giving you an extra pound. It's not like they meant to do it, and a pound is hardly a lot of money. The cost to recruit another person and then train them to do the job would be many times more than £1.

I'd have given the money back if I noticed before I was already away.

ReputationRep:
    Give it back. They respect their customers, you respect them.

(Original post by Bude8)
    Give it back. They respect their customers, you respect them.
    Money should not be the cause of destruction of our principles. Retain them and give the money back.

ReputationRep:
    I would hand it back but wouldn't think as far as 'job on the line'
    For me personally, its immoral to take it

ReputationRep:
    Give it back, they would give it back if you paid an extra pound (well I hope they would).

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me yesterday! I should have had 70p change but I got £1.70 instead! I had to wait ages for what I wanted (thick girl talking to her mate instead of serving me!) so I kept it, otherwise I would have given it back.

ReputationRep:
    Give it back... what goes around comes around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicMaestro97)
    This happened to me yesterday! I should have had 70p change but I got £1.70 instead! I had to wait ages for what I wanted (thick girl talking to her mate instead of serving me!) so I kept it, otherwise I would have given it back.
    Tbf, I guess she *kinda* deserved it. I mean when I gave the £1 back, the cashier went really red in the face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Tbf, I guess she *kinda* deserved it. I mean when I gave the £1 back, the cashier went really red in the face
    Actually, that sounds even better! Damn, should have done that instead!

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to check my change and put my trust in the cashier (stupid I know). Sometimes it works out much better for me than them. I can't say I've ever been massively short changed (if we're excluding wrong Tax codes, although I did get that back ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Give it back... what goes around comes around
    So if you accept £1 in extra change then between that point and when you die you will loose £1 in utility compared to if you had not accepted it? Still better to accept it, unless the karma system also adjusts for inflation?

In most cases I'd keep it to be honest, it'd depend a bit on the situation but when most tills will tell them exactly how much change to give its hardly an easy mistake to make.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    In all honesty it depends on the place. In a large supermarket, I doubt I'd actually care unless it was over £5.

At a corner shop I'd feel guilty and give it back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CamH)
    So if you accept £1 in extra change then between that point and when you die you will loose £1 in utility compared to if you had not accepted it? Still better to accept it, unless the karma system also adjusts for inflation?

In most cases I'd keep it to be honest, it'd depend a bit on the situation but when most tills will tell them exactly how much change to give its hardly an easy mistake to make.
    karma will bite you in the ass if you laugh at it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Give it back. I've done this before - Gave cashier 50p and was expecting 7p change and was given £4.57 instead.

ReputationRep:
    give it back

ReputationRep:
    Give it back, it's a no brainer really, so long as I can actually bother to count my money :teehee:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.