Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone , I've been silently following the TSR community. I've just been offered a place to study Medicine this Sept. I am a graduate and have been out of education for four years now.

As I have a few months before I start and a lot of time on my hands (working evening and night shifts) I would like to review my chemistry.

While I did very well in Chem at A level, it was a while ago.

I would like to hear from some current 1st years if possible on any pre reading you would recommend so I'm not like a lost lamb for the first few months when it comes to chemistry , biochem , physiology. Any books that could be recommended so I've got the basics ? What topics in A level Chem and Bio should I revive from long lost parts of my brain ?

I'm planning on enjoying my last few months before uni so not wanting to spend hours revising or anything like that just some basics to get my brain working again and maybe make 1st year a bit easier so it's a gentle start .

Thanks everybody.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - wouldn't bother. There is little to no pure chemistry taught in a medical course and none of it is like A level chemistry anyway. So long as you can understand a chemical formula I think you'll be fine.

Biochem - it will be taught when you start the course, enjoy your summer.

Biology - well this depends on you. Just how much biology have you forgotten? Assuming you still know the basics (i.e. you understand the difference between say, the pulmonary and systemic circulation), I'd say that's sufficient knowledge.

Just enjoy your summer holiday, they'll teach all this stuff again from scratch. Honest

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.