Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got two datasets that contain 11 values each. The question was regarding measures of location in the two datasets in the table which I did and are Median and Mean. (I know mode is one of them as well but the table disregards mode for now)

What is puzzling me though is that it then goes on to say 'use both of these measures to see which has the higher location'. Now I've done a lot of searching and have gone over things and I just don't get what it is trying to say. From what I gather is that once I find the mean and median of the two datasets which ever dataset has the higher mean and median becomes the one with the higher location. Is that right? It sounds so simplistic and dumb. Because what if dataset A has a higher mean while dataset B has a higher median. What happens then?

I've got a similar question with measures of spread regarding the same datasets. I.e Interquartile range, standard deviation and range. Is it safe to assume that this question is also just wanting to me to find the values for the measures of spread and then whichever dataset has the higher values that means it has the wider spread?

Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)
    I've got two datasets that contain 11 values each. The question was regarding measures of location in the two datasets in the table which I did and are Median and Mean. (I know mode is one of them as well but the table disregards mode for now)

What is puzzling me though is that it then goes on to say 'use both of these measures to see which has the higher location'. Now I've done a lot of searching and have gone over things and I just don't get what it is trying to say. From what I gather is that once I find the mean and median of the two datasets which ever dataset has the higher mean and median becomes the one with the higher location. Is that right? It sounds so simplistic and dumb. Because what if dataset A has a higher mean while dataset B has a higher median. What happens then?

I've got a similar question with measures of spread regarding the same datasets. I.e Interquartile range, standard deviation and range. Is it safe to assume that this question is also just wanting to me to find the values for the measures of spread and then whichever dataset has the higher values that means it has the wider spread?

Thanks all!
    You are correct regarding spread as to location however I'm unsure . . .
    Location is just the best central value/average so I'd assume you were correct in this too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    You are correct regarding spread as to location however I'm unsure . . .
    Location is just the best central value/average so I'd assume you were correct in this too.
    Alright, thanks for that. Btw is it possible for dataset A to have a higher mean then dataset B, but dataset B would have a higher median to dataset A. And if that is possible how would one go about finding the higher location?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)
    Alright, thanks for that. Btw is it possible for dataset A to have a higher mean then dataset B, but dataset B would have a higher median to dataset A. And if that is possible how would one go about finding the higher location?

Thanks again
    Yes it is possible - think very skewed data.
    A: 1,1,1,100000000000
    B: 1,2,3,4
    A has higher mean - B has higher median.
    As for how to find the higher location the best way I can see is to sum the two measures and see which has a higher total I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Yes it is possible - think very skewed data.
    A: 1,1,1,100000000000
    B: 1,2,3,4
    A has higher mean - B has higher median.
    As for how to find the higher location the best way I can see is to sum the two measures and see which has a higher total I guess
    Thanks Joostan. I see you study a lot of Maths :cool:

Joostan just another thing, with regards to measures of spread when I initally asked do I just see which has the higher value. Do I just take the values of each dataset and minus or add or do what with them exactly? Because it says which has a higher spread. I know you're checking for a wider spread (range) but how exactly would I distinguish this from the two datasets? It just seems weird that all I have would have to do is to see if all 3 measure of spread in table A are higher than in table B:

Sorry for sounding like a right kn0b here but I always tend to over think stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.