Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any law students here planning to not become a barrister/solicitor? If so what would you like to do? I heard it's a good base upon which too add master degrees such as media, management, etc. So what post-grad degrees are you law students gonna take if you ain't gonna do LPC or BVCs? And is it difficult to find a job with just a LLB law degree by itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    Any law students here planning to not become a barrister/solicitor? If so what would you like to do? I heard it's a good base upon which too add master degrees such as media, management, etc. So what post-grad degrees are you law students gonna take if you ain't gonna do LPC or BVCs? And is it difficult to find a job with just a LLB law degree by itself?
    may still consider doing LPC as i live in nottingham and nottm trent is arguably the best provider in the country - its also a good base on which to fall back on should any other ventures go wrong.

would like to go into stock-broking or something business related as that's what my mum does, or, ultimately run my own business.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya- i'm going to Durham to do law, but am not planning to become a lawyer. As you've already suggested, i'm going to take my masters in journalism! Hoping to follow in the footsteps of a relative who did law at LSE then became editor of a magazine. Didn't want to do a full Journalism/ Media degree as people I met on work experience ( at a Newspaper) suggested I'd have alot more options in the long run. Also, journalists need to know alot about law- the statutes and terminology etc...- if they're reporting a court case, so it seemed sensible. Cool insight to Media law too! Need to know my boundaries
    It just seemed a sensible degree to take- it was a toss up between Law and Politics for me
    A degree in law is so diverse...and if i decide i do want to be a lawyer in the end, it's a great 2nd option to have...

ReputationRep:
    My boyf did the BV, then went and did a doctorate (Law), so accademia is a real posibility. He then went back to the bar though.

ReputationRep:
    i'm also off to durham to read law but dunno what i want to do when i finish. I might going into law, i might not, depending on how much i like it.

A good law degree gives you so many career options as it's more highly regarded by employers than almost any other degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I'm off to do law and become a barrister, but my boyfriend will probably do law but DOES NOT want to practice it because he's too nice a fellow

Umm.. he's thinking of working in business as a legal advisor, management, stuff like that. A law degree is really useful when it comes to big companies, and many company secretaries have law degrees. So yeppers...

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    When we started we were told that 50% of us would not end up in the legal profession, so plenty of people don't end up in a solicitors office or in court! Law is generally regarded as a good academic subject for all those jobs that just want evidence of degree-level education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Hiya- i'm going to Durham to do law, but am not planning to become a lawyer. As you've already suggested, i'm going to take my masters in journalism! Hoping to follow in the footsteps of a relative who did law at LSE then became editor of a magazine. Didn't want to do a full Journalism/ Media degree as people I met on work experience ( at a Newspaper) suggested I'd have alot more options in the long run. Also, journalists need to know alot about law- the statutes and terminology etc...- if they're reporting a court case, so it seemed sensible. Cool insight to Media law too! Need to know my boundaries
    It just seemed a sensible degree to take- it was a toss up between Law and Politics for me
    A degree in law is so diverse...and if i decide i do want to be a lawyer in the end, it's a great 2nd option to have...
    Sounds great! I wasn't (and still aren't when i think about it) sure about taking law but doing journalism masters and ending up becoming an editor of a magazine sounds exciting. I took law not knowing what I really wanted to do, since it is a sensible degree for employment. I really wanted to become a writer instead but since creative writing degrees aren't as employable taking up media studies or english as masters might be a good idea. It sounds like you're more sorted out than I am but good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great! I wasn't (and still aren't when i think about it) sure about taking law but doing journalism masters and ending up becoming an editor of a magazine sounds exciting. I took law not knowing what I really wanted to do, since it is a sensible degree for employment. I really wanted to become a writer instead but since creative writing degrees aren't as employable taking up media studies or english as masters might be a good idea. It sounds like you're more sorted out than I am but good luck anyway.
    I think working for the CPS would be satisfying. If not i think i would rather go into something else following a law degree, its a good ladder to other things.

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a solicitor or barrister and earn loads of money

ReputationRep:
    my friend hates her law degree and has lost all ambition, she now wants to graduate and be a florist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    I want to become a solicitor or barrister and earn loads of money
    become a solicitor then! Bar = no money for eons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    I graduated in 2002 with a 2.1 LLB from King's. I joined a law firm several months later as a trainee lawyer. But I quit in January 2004 to join a stock broker in the City, doing underwriting etc. I intend to leave that job in September to start afresh at the LSE, as I wish to enter academia, and be a writer.
    Which firm did you train at?

ReputationRep:
    If I am to reach my ambition I have to become a barrister anyway, well I can become a solicitor-advocate but no thanks. People think barristers earn a lot of money, look at the CPS, you may then think otherwise.

Unless the academic route is viable. The law lords kicked up a stink over the promotion of Dame Brenda Hale to the highest court of appeal in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If I am to reach my ambition I have to become a barrister anyway, well I can become a solicitor-advocate but no thanks. People think barristers earn a lot of money, look at the CPS, you may then think otherwise.

Unless the academic route is viable. The law lords kicked up a stink over the promotion of Dame Brenda Hale to the highest court of appeal in the country.
    even barristers working in the civil courts earn bugger all for a long time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    become a solicitor then! Bar = no money for eons!
    Lol but a barrister gets more money in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    Lol but a barrister gets more money in the end
    But it's not fun while you're waiting to get that far!

Not being able to pay the mortgage because instructing solicitors haven't paid up yet for work done 2 months previously. Not being able to complain as worried solicitors will move their business else where... etc.

working your ass off for cases that pay set fees of £70 (including prep time, travel to court time and court time). You would get more in Maccy D's!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    even barristers working in the civil courts earn bugger all for a long time!
    I've never considered the £££ side in the legal profession. I just become aware how many people think that barristers earn a lot of money, when many don't. Guess you'd be quite well of with a judgeship then? :rolleyes:

If that's not enough to hamper a good wage after years of working hard doing 4+ years of FT education, I glanced over the New Law Journal and there was something about capping lawyers' fees. Haven't read it though, was looking for something IPR/IT related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    After my first year I lost all interest in law too.
    Why is that? Is law a disappointing course, is it boring or is it because you found you had no vocation in it? Do you regret taking it?

ReputationRep:
    i'm off to sheff to do law hopefully but i am worried about what to do afterwards! i dunno if i want to take the legal route. i'm very very tempted by the possibility of doing a music post-grad...wierd choice i know but it was the subject i mite have done instead of law. i'd quite like to get into something related to finance?!?! bit nervous bout law degree..eek!! :confused:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.