Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 15, in year 10 and going to school... I would like to go and volunteer for a charity shop or something but i don't think anyone takes people under 16? Do you know anywhere that may me? Help pleaseeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about charity shops, but theres no harm in asking if you can volunteer there at 15.
    How about volunteering at your local rainbow/brownie/guides group. You can volunteer there from 14.

ReputationRep:
    Good on you for wanting to volunteer. I agree with Emma above :-)

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered at OXFAM aged 15 - I just wasn't allowed to work on the till on my own, but I could do everything else.
    If you want to volunteer for a specific charity it is worth looking at their website for details; you could also ask at school if there are teachers who run the Duke of Edinburgh award, as even if you're too young to do it now, they may be able to set you up with whatever charity they use for the volunteering section of it.

Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Oxfam, british heart foundation and save the children will all let you volunteer under 16 in their shops. I believe others will too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that's a good idea thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks i just thought why not instead of just sitting at home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the idea but i won't be doing dofe its too much exercise for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think charity shops might let you help put out or arrange the stock, even if they won't let you work the tills. Volunteering with Rainbows/Brownies/Guides is very fulfilling also. I have been volunteering with my local Brownie pack for some time now and it's surprisingly enjoyable! I'm sure most places will be pretty accommodating if you ask though!

ReputationRep:
    Libraries are good places to find volunteering work and they usually need a few extra helping hands - plus they allowed me to work behind the counter and I was 14.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help guys!! I am now volunteering at a charity shop and they let me use the till etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kajisnotonfire)
    I'm 15, in year 10 and going to school... I would like to go and volunteer for a charity shop or something but i don't think anyone takes people under 16? Do you know anywhere that may me? Help pleaseeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yhh i they do.allow 15year olds to volunteer you just need to go in and ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kajisnotonfire)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been volunteering in an Oxfam shop since I was 14 and that's the youngest age they allow people to start volunteering.

edit: Didn't see this was old. Are you enjoying it there?

ReputationRep:
    Charity shops will probably let you do everything apart from using the tills until you're 16. Good on you for wanting to volunteer! I worked in a charity shop after I left uni until I started my job and it stopped me from going crazy!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.