Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am having a little trouble with a mechanics problem specifically q9 STEP I but there's no need to go into any real detail- here are the questions i wanted to ask: (3 scenarios)

1) I am standing on a high speed train which is accelerating to the east- why do i accelerate with the train?

2) if i simply drop a spoon onto the floor will the spoon end up at my feet ( because it also accelerates with me and the train) or will it be left behind far from me- remember the train is accelerating not at constant velocity

3) if i throw the spoon to the west will it have a component of velocity backwards (will it accelerate with me and the train )

Please label respective solutions as 1,2 and 3 thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahomyemane778)
    I am having a little trouble with a mechanics problem specifically q9 STEP I but there's no need to go into any real detail- here are the questions i wanted to ask: (3 scenarios)

1) I am standing on a high speed train which is accelerating to the east- why do i accelerate with the train?

2) if i simply drop a spoon onto the floor will the spoon end up at my feet ( because it also accelerates with me and the train) or will it be left behind far from me- remember the train is accelerating not at constant velocity

3) if i throw the spoon to the west will it have a component of velocity backwards (will it accelerate with me and the train )

Please label respective solutions as 1,2 and 3 thanks for any replies
    This is an example of relative motion.
    1: You accelerate because you are on the train and the train applies a force on you. Ever noticed how if you stand up when the train decelerates you get thrown forwards?
    2: I believe the spoon will fall behind you, as the force accelerating the spoon horizontally is lost - though it still has a horizontal velocity.
    3: The spoon accelerates backwards as you throw it (relative to you)
    From another reference frame, e.g. an onlooker by the tracks, the spoon would still travel forwards for them (assuming you threw it slower than the train was travelling)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.